PDA

View Full Version : Cutting board edge

Joe Little
01-06-2009, 8:47 AM
I built some long grain cutting boards and for a different look I want to put a 45 degree angle on the top edge. Having never done this before I wondered what will give me a better edge with the least amount of tear-out. Cutting on my table saw at 45 or using a chamfer bit on my router table?
Thanks, joe

Jason Whitaker
01-06-2009, 9:02 AM
Joe,

I did exactly what you are asking on a few boards I made for x-mas gifts... 2 were face grain and 1 was end grain. I found that using my router worked ok ( I admit I was not using the highest quality bit which does factor in) but my WW II on the table saw took care of each side in one pass, nice and clean. FWIW

Lee Schierer
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Either method will work. If you TS is aligned well you should see few teeth marks. If you use the router chamfering bit, make the bevel in small cuts and watch the grain direction so you not run into reversed grain that may lift and give you a rough cut. Removing the final 1/32 or less with a climb cut can give a better surface finish than regular cutting. Just be aware that climb cutting routers want to self feed.

Maurice Ungaro
01-06-2009, 1:45 PM
You might also want to run some 220 sandpaper over the edges after you cut them, just to smooth the transitions.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-06-2009, 5:20 PM
I'd use the table saw with a sacrificial backer.
Then sand it.

Joe Little
01-06-2009, 8:45 PM
Thanks all, great posts. I think I will cut on TS with WWII. Thanks again.