PDA

View Full Version : Question on Running Festool Sanders with Fein Vacs

John Hedges
01-07-2009, 4:55 PM
I have a question. I have a Fein Turbo III vac and am looking at picking up a Rotex. After calling around all the sales people have told me that the only hose that will hook up to the Rotex is the Festool hose, but the other end will not fit a Fein Vac hose or any of the adapters that come with the Fein. For those of you running this setup, how are you connecting your sander to your vac?

Jerry White
01-07-2009, 6:22 PM
John,

I have the Fein Turbo II as well as the Festool CT22. I used the Turbo II with Festools before I got the CT22, using the Fein vac hose and the Fein Vac Step Adaptor, #921072K13, available from Coastal Tool for $3.75. Should you desire to use the Festool hose, it WILL fit directly to the Turbo II (and I assume the Turbo III). The only problem you may encounter using the Turbo II with the RO150 is that the Fein vac does not have a variable control and you could have a problem with too much suction. There are ways to work around that.

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/fein/turbo-ii-accessories.htm

The world is full of misinformation isn't it!

Jerry

Joe Scharle
01-07-2009, 6:32 PM
I wrapped blue tape about 3 turns on the 150 dustport and hooked it to a $15 Rigid (BORG) soft hose. Hose coupled that to the Fein hose and sand away. I use the same soft hose on routers too.

Jim Kountz
01-07-2009, 7:09 PM
Festool hooked to a Fein?? Oh no man you're going to blow something up! Dont do it!! The Festool police will come to your door and arrest you!!

Ok sorry I couldnt resist!! LOL

Jason White
01-07-2009, 7:21 PM
The "vacuum" end of the Festool hose will fit any standard shop vac.

Jason

I have a question. I have a Fein Turbo III vac and am looking at picking up a Rotex. After calling around all the sales people have told me that the only hose that will hook up to the Rotex is the Festool hose, but the other end will not fit a Fein Vac hose or any of the adapters that come with the Fein. For those of you running this setup, how are you connecting your sander to your vac?

Jim Becker
01-07-2009, 7:48 PM
The "vacuum" end of the Festool hose will fit any standard shop vac.

Absolutely. I can confirm this, too. Perhaps the Fein has a different configuration.

Jesus Aleman
01-07-2009, 8:08 PM
I suggest you try posting the question in the festoolownersgroup. The port size is 1 1/4" in most Festools. However, the tool end of the festool hoses is rubber and not a hard plastic.

JGA.

Rick Jeschke
01-07-2009, 9:01 PM
John- I have the same set up with the smallest of the Fein vacs. Like Jerry said I use the step adaptor at the rotex. I worked around the suction issue (because it had way too much suction and sander would "stick and bounce") by putting a tee at the vac end of the hose with one side of the tee for the hose and one side with a cap that I can open or close to get more or less suction. I'll try to post a picture of the tee in a bit.

Chuck Tringo
01-07-2009, 9:17 PM
sounds like sales people trying to sell more stuff, there are adapters to fit any tool to any hose, and if its not a perfect fit, a few wraps of electrical tape have always worked for me. I'm ALWAYS wary of sales people who insist that the only accessories you can use are theirs...I usually spend my loot elsewhere...

Rick Jeschke
01-07-2009, 9:26 PM
Here is that tee I mentioned earlier. Just a couple of bucks and it solved the suction issue.

Jim Becker
01-07-2009, 9:45 PM
sounds like sales people trying to sell more stuff, there are adapters to fit any tool to any hose, and if its not a perfect fit, a few wraps of electrical tape have always worked for me. I'm ALWAYS wary of sales people who insist that the only accessories you can use are theirs...I usually spend my loot elsewhere...

Chuck, it's always good to be wary of salespeople insisting on an "only solution". But it is true that it's best to use the Festool rubber adapter on the tool end of whatever hose you choose to use because different Festool tools have different shaped ports. That part is not expensive, either, and has the ribbing that interlocks with the ports securely. If you are paying hundreds of dollars for a tool with excellent dust collection capablity, spending $10 or whatever for a secure and effective connection to your choice of extraction hose/machine shouldn't be a major concern. IMHO, of course.

Chuck Tringo
01-07-2009, 9:59 PM
I understand that Jim, but the OP said that the Festool hose was the ONLY hose that would fit, and that fein adaptors would not fit, just sounded a little shady to me...im sure the adaptor may be cheap, but if im correct the Festool hoses are running around $80 or so, not the cheapest around.

Chuck, it's always good to be wary of salespeople insisting on an "only solution". But it is true that it's best to use the Festool rubber adapter on the tool end of whatever hose you choose to use because different Festool tools have different shaped ports. That part is not expensive, either, and has the ribbing that interlocks with the ports securely. If you are paying hundreds of dollars for a tool with excellent dust collection capablity, spending $10 or whatever for a secure and effective connection to your choice of extraction hose/machine shouldn't be a major concern. IMHO, of course.

Jason White
01-08-2009, 7:39 AM
That's true if you get the green "anti-static" hose.

The grey, non-antistatic hoses are about half the cost and will work perfectly with any shop vac.

Jason

I understand that Jim, but the OP said that the Festool hose was the ONLY hose that would fit, and that fein adaptors would not fit, just sounded a little shady to me...im sure the adaptor may be cheap, but if im correct the Festool hoses are running around $80 or so, not the cheapest around.