PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple HF

Bill Bolen
02-05-2009, 1:08 PM
This piece of spalted maple stands 7" X 5.5" and is finished with 5 coats of gloss wipe on poly. I tried a bit prouder lip/mouth than usual and a broader shoulder, just playing around with form. As always critiques comments are welcome...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2009, 1:18 PM
Looks pretty good to me Bill! Petty wood - great finish! On the lip - just my opinion, but I would have rounded the lip and tried to mimic the base form instead of using an angle cut. Just me....... I do like the form a lot! Keep up the good work!

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2009, 1:30 PM
Wow that is pretty. Great finish.

David Christopher
02-05-2009, 2:35 PM
thats a good looking HF......love the finish....did you polish or just wipe on????? can you explain the prosess

Bill Bolen
02-05-2009, 6:20 PM
David: I just put the poly on with a 2" square cottom cloth. T-shirt when avaliable or gun cleaning patches when no rags are avaliable. One coat a day and I wet sand with 400 grit black automotive sandpaper between coats. After I have the gloss I'm after and the defects are all out I set the piece aside till the poly is cured. (when you can no longer smell it close up it is cured). I then use the 3 wheel buff and consider it finished...Bill...

David Christopher
02-05-2009, 6:55 PM
Thanks Bill I will have to give that a try

Richard Madison
02-05-2009, 9:18 PM
Bill,
I like the lip/mouth, with Steve's suggestion to round it a bit. And might have made the base a little smaller. Nit picking aside, beautiful wood, shape, and finish.

Bill Bolen
02-05-2009, 9:22 PM
Richard i sure did not notice any nitt picking! I agree after looking the foot is a bit too big. As far as the lip again I agree but just messing with different forms right now. Thanks all for the constructive critisism, it is taken the way you intended...Bill...

alex carey
02-05-2009, 9:52 PM
That sure is pretty. I don't think I have any criticism. Looks perfect.