PDA

View Full Version : Sprunger jointer fence

vic newsman
02-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Hello,

I've recently inherited my Grandfather's woodworking tools, one of which is a 6" Sprunger jointer. However, I can't figure out how to slide the fence left and right. It will angle fine, however, and the tool is in good condition and was in use up to about 3 years ago. I was wondering if there is a set screw I can't find or if the fence is just stuck?

Here is a picture of the jointer I found on the web that shows the rod the fence slides on.

regards,
Vic

vic newsman
02-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Hmmm,

Looking at the picture I think I just figured it out. I use the handle to loosen the inner nut so that I can angle the fence. It looks like the outer nut needs to be loosened in order to slide the fence.

Calvin Crutchfield
02-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I think you got it. That fence design is the exact same as the Delte/Milwaukee/Rockwell jointers of better times gone by. In fact the whole jointer looks like an old Delta. Not rare but very good. I have several friends that use them. It will serve you well.

There is a lot of info out there on "old wood working machines" Just google that phrase and you'l find the site.

vic newsman
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the confirmation Calvin.

Jim Dailey
02-17-2009, 7:00 PM
Hi Vic,

I used to own one exactly like your Grandfathers. It was my 1st jointer that I bought new in the mid 70's. American made iron that unfortunately has gone out of business. Fine Woodworking Mag in their anniversary thought enough of them to note their passing in the time line of events that occurred since the start of the publication.

If my memory is correct.... the handle has an internal spring. Compress & push the handle in to loosen & move the fence. Pull out to loosen tip the fence to bevel. The nice thing about the way fence mounted on the end of the bed on the Sprunger was nothing projected out the back of the jointer so it could be pushed tight up to another piece of equipment or a wall.

From the pictures your Grandfather's looks brand new. This should serve you well for years.

jim

M Toupin
02-17-2009, 7:49 PM
Jim's correct. Slide the handle onto the inside nut to loosen the fence on the rail. As you've already figured out, slide the handle onto the outside nut to adjust the angle of the fence. the Springer is a close cousin of the Delta 37-290. They're good, solid little 4" jointers and the design has stood the test of time.

Mike