PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Noise Measurement

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2009, 8:57 AM
Hi, I finally remembered to borrow the sound pressure level meter from work so that I could take a few measurements of my cyclone.

I have an Oneida 1.5HP component machine with external filter, located in the basement of my townhouse.

The cyclone is suspended from the main floor joists with 3/8" threaded rod anchored in rubber vibration isolators at the floor joists.

There is no sound attenuating material in the shop, the cyclone is suspended in the corner without an enclosure.

The cyclone is directly below the living room, with the basement door beside the living room.

House with no activity.......39dBA

Basement 1m from cyclone 72.5dBA avg, 73.2 dBA max

Living room, door open 48.5 dBA avg, 49.2 dBA max

Living room door closed 47.1 dBA average

Regards, Rod.

Lee Schierer
03-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Is there a question?

Those readings don't seem high to me and would not be cause for wearing hearing protection unless LOML is watching soaps and can't hear the intimate dialogs...:D

george wilson
03-05-2009, 1:04 PM
My Oneida says it puts out 75 DB,but I don't believe it. I have a digital radio that displays its DB's on the dial. Its 75 DB's are NO WAY similar to the Oneida.

J.R. Rutter
03-05-2009, 1:19 PM
My Oneida says it puts out 75 DB,but I don't believe it. I have a digital radio that displays its DB's on the dial. Its 75 DB's are NO WAY similar to the Oneida.

I would believe Onieda before the display on your radio!

J.R. Rutter
03-05-2009, 1:25 PM
I have a big Torit/Donaldson cyclone at the work shop, with a big baghouse filter. I measured noise with a cheap Radio Shack SLM before and after I installed a duct silencer earlier this year. Standing right next to the baghouse, we were at 90 dB before muffler and 76 dB afterwards. It definitely requires ear protection for all day exposure. That meter could be way off, but at least I got a relative idea of what the muffler did.

glenn bradley
03-05-2009, 1:28 PM
Thanks Rod. That's good info.

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2009, 1:39 PM
Is there a question?

Those readings don't seem high to me and would not be cause for wearing hearing protection unless LOML is watching soaps and can't hear the intimate dialogs...:D

No question Lee, I just wanted to post the info for other Creekers.

Regards, Rod.