PDA

View Full Version : Rehabbing Stanley Everlasting #20 chisel set

JD Dolan
03-23-2009, 2:56 PM
I just got this set of Stanley Everlasting #20s. They're in great shape with the exception of the wood being missing from the handles. Any suggestions on how to put new handle wood on these? I know the originals were press-fitted, but I don't know if I can pull them apart and re-press-fit them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
J.D.

Ken Werner
03-23-2009, 3:04 PM
Interesting problem....I can't advise you from experience but here's an idea:

Cut a square piece of turning stock in half lengthwise, glue it back together with a layer of paper in between. Drill your center hole. Turn your handle. Split parts and epoxy back together. Again - I've never done it but this is what comes to mind.

Going to be a nice set when you're done.

JD Dolan
03-23-2009, 3:10 PM
Ken, I think the problem might be getting the socket part in since the striking head will prevent it from sliding in next to the shaft. I suppose I could do a multi-segmented handle. Hmmm. It is indeed an interesting problem.

Rob Luter
03-23-2009, 3:34 PM
I know the originals were press-fitted,...

Are you sure? I have one and it looks like it's pinned in place. I recall seeing a patent drawing that seemed to show the same thing. I'll see if I can dig it up.

- Rob

Rob Luter
03-23-2009, 3:45 PM
I stand corrected.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=eiZRAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=PAtent+1493176&source=bl&ots=Jfy_FUDuVb&sig=_49HwBF4oS_DTKhYOwVxfEUKGlY&hl=en&ei=K-XHSZSTGd_lnQfLk8HlDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result#PPA1,M1