PDA

View Full Version : Follow-up on BU vs. BD smoother

Roger Barlow
03-24-2009, 7:28 PM
So I read some more, and enjoyed the posts to the earlier BU vs. Down thread, and I came up with the following plan:

I bought a bedrock 605 1/2 on fleabay and ordered a Hock blade and chipbreaker. Have the plane, but not the iron yet. I will set it up as a large heavy smoother, backbeveled to get a 50-55 degree iron. I know you can't just iron slap a bedrock to make a LN, but a Hock has helped my other Stanleys, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

I also bought a LV bevel up smoother, not yet arrived. I bought the standard blade of 38 degrees and try it first before before changing the bevel angle. Of course I'll refine the bevel when I get it. Read the article on cambering the BU iron, I can do that. Thanks for the good article Derek.

I'll compare these to the LN 4 (45 degree) that I already own.

Then I'll be able to make up my mind based up my own trials, nothing like hands on. And I've always wanted to try a BU smoother. Can't imagine I won't like it. And I don't feel bad about the cost of this test since the total price of both planes and irons ordered was under 400. I'll let you know my semi objective opinions after some testing and what I use for the job.

Since this is the Neader area, I was somewhat reluctant to tell you guys that I initially thought about doing the table top on my CNC router, putting in the faint scallops after flattening it. I had visions of Frankenstein's monster atop the burning windmill.........

jerry nazard
03-24-2009, 7:46 PM
. Since this is the Neader area, I was somewhat reluctant to tell you guys that I initially thought about doing the table top on my CNC router, putting in the faint scallops after flattening it. I had visions of Frankenstein's monster atop the burning windmill.........

How 'bout visions from The Young Frankenstein with Peter Boyle waving a huge plane from atop the castle?

Seriously, I will be eagerly waiting to hear how your testing works out.

-Jerry