PDA

View Full Version : Some things I have made from scratch. Hope this works!!

george wilson
03-25-2009, 5:35 PM
This is a rabbett plane made from sheet brass,stuffed with rosewood. It has an adjustable throat,and is 8" long and 3 1/4" tall.

steve swantee
03-25-2009, 5:40 PM
Absolutely beautiful, George. I'm sure it works as well as it looks.

Steve

Pam Niedermayer
03-25-2009, 9:39 PM
Gorgeous, George. It doesn't look all that comfortable to hold, though. What am I missing here?

Pam

george wilson
03-25-2009, 9:53 PM
Actually,Pam,it is quite comfortable to hold with the round contours. I call it the Loch Ness model. You should research 19th.C. metal planes,though. Very many of them were NOT designed with ergonomics in mind at all. The rectangular miter plane that LN makes is similar to the old Stanley,and beyond that,sans blade adjustment mechanism,goes back even to the 18th.C.,and NO KNOB at the back to hold on to,either! I've made quite a few of those style. Couldn't keep them,because people would see them and beg them out of me (well,not quite beg $$$$$)

Jameel Abraham
03-25-2009, 9:56 PM
More food from George's buffet. I'm not full yet....

That's beautiful George. And I like the overstuffing. Looks like a bearclaw donut. And I mean that as high praise! I must be hungry tonight....

Clay Thigpen
03-25-2009, 11:18 PM
George that looks magical. Are you sure you don't have some gnomes working for you?

george wilson
03-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Clay,you make saws. Did you see the saw pictures? Thank you. I wish I did have gnomes!!!

Peter Scoma
03-25-2009, 11:57 PM
WOW. thats awesome George. WWer's make the best tools!

PS

george wilson
03-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks,everyone.

Zahid Naqvi
03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
George, how about a picture of the bottom. How do you get the throat plate to stay in line, considering this is a rabbet plane and doesn't have the side walls to support the bottom

Richard Dooling
03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
This is pretty sad. All these fantastic examples of your craft must be straining your storage areas. As a Southern gentleman I feel compelled, though it would be most inconvenient for my family, to offer to store some of these items for you.

I would not be able to accommodate you for more than a few decades, but if I can be of assistance to you in your time of need I can be in Williamsburg in about 45 seconds. That is if I can get through the tunnel!

george wilson
03-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Zahid,not quite sure what you mean. The sliding front sole of the plane is trapped in a "T" slot,so it must remain held,and can only slide back and forth when you loosen the big screw on top of the plane. If you will examine the inside of the escapement in the side view of the plane,you can see that the front sole of the plane has been slid just a bit towards the blade,to tighten the throat. You can just make out a bit of the T shaped track I refer to. Just about 1/64" of the T track is showing.

Ken Werner
03-26-2009, 1:10 PM
Mr. Wilson, you made me drool on my keyboard again.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-26-2009, 6:52 PM
That's an adorable design.

gary Zimmel
03-26-2009, 6:59 PM
Beautiful looking plane George.

george wilson
05-06-2010, 4:07 PM
Another re post for Matt.

David Weaver
05-06-2010, 4:17 PM
Another very tidy plane. Looks like it would be much less fatiguing to use than an 073 style shoulder plane given that you could put the back end in the palm of your hand and push without pain.

How large is it? Did I miss that somewhere?

george wilson
05-06-2010, 4:37 PM
I'd have to go measure it,but it's about 8" long in the body,1 1/4" wide. I have had no trouble using it. It isn't the type plane that you use for long periods of time anyway.

Paul Incognito
05-06-2010, 5:50 PM
George, your work is inspirational.
Thank you and keep it up.
PI

David Weaver
05-06-2010, 7:30 PM
I'd have to go measure it,but it's about 8" long in the body,1 1/4" wide. I have had no trouble using it. It isn't the type plane that you use for long periods of time anyway.

Roughly the same size as an 073, as I was guessing.

I've gotten stuck one time using an 073 to remove a lot of material on a carcass (behind a face frame) because it wouldn't fit in the wall, and I didn't have anything else to do the job. It left me feeling like I have arthritis.

Dan Andrews
05-09-2010, 11:59 AM
A work of art even if it had no function. I doff my hat to you George.

Derek Cohen
05-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Hi George

I'd love to see more details of the adjuster for the mouth. I am building an infill block plane with an adjustable mouth. It is intended to lock via a screw through the front infill, but I am having a hard time coming up with a design that allows for movement and still keeps the bolt/screw recess as small as possible.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Charlie Kocourek
05-09-2010, 2:16 PM
Words fail me. That is fantastic!

Tony Shea
05-09-2010, 3:14 PM
Man oh man that's impressive. I love seeing all these home-made planes on here. IMO it looks like it would be comfortable as heck, especially if one is comparing it to a Stanley 73. Just absolutely beautiful and looks very functional. I would love to see a tutorial on something like this as I wouldn't even know where to start.