PDA

View Full Version : Correction on first rabbett plane photo

george wilson
03-25-2009, 5:49 PM
Sorry,I got the wrong image in the first attempt.I was messing around,and got the picture blurred.

Bruce Page
03-25-2009, 6:03 PM
George, that's some beautiful metal working and the woodworking ain't too shabby either.

george wilson
03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
I was fortunate to spend 2 years studying under one of the foremost sculptors in the country,Will Reimann.He ended up as head of the art department at Harvard.I loved his 1950's and 60's work. Can't comprehend what he's doing now,though I am sure that he does. He could draw like DaVinci. He really kicked my rear! But,I knew he had incredible skill in design,so I stuck with him and learned a lot.

He taught me that if something was to be round,make it round,if square,make it square.Don't mess around and round off square corners in a half hearted sort of way.

It's o.k. to terminate a round edge with another definite surface,but don't sluff things over. Lots of basic design things like that. NO curves with flat spots.

Brian Kent
03-25-2009, 10:48 PM
George, I'm just starting to look through to these home-made gems. What fun. This shoulder plane just makes me laugh - in the best way. It looks like you made a wider plane out of a wooden balloon, then squeezed it together.

Will Reiman must be some creative artist. I love the concept of letting round be round and square square. It really works and is incredibly creative.

george wilson
03-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Those "rules" applied hundreds of years ago. They are simply the right way to do things. Glad you enjoyed "Nessie".

Brian Kent
03-25-2009, 11:36 PM
That's funny. I showed my wife and she said, "He should call it 'Nessie'. "

george wilson
03-26-2009, 10:04 AM
It is actually quite comfortable to hold,moreso than a lot of of old planes that had no totes. The overstuffing adds to the comfort.