PDA

View Full Version : A crosscut saw handle I made a few years ago

george wilson
03-25-2009, 7:22 PM
Hopefully brian will see this post. This is one of a pair of saws I made some years ago,before LN came out with their new crosscut saw. I guess we must have the same taste. It is even the same color (or very close) as theirs,just by chance.It is a copy of an old Disston handle that I liked,though perhaps refined a bit. The saw screws are convex,turned out of 260 brass. I added some sharpening up of details,like the "V" cuts seen. It is curly maple,and the blade is left blue.

Robert Rozaieski
03-25-2009, 7:59 PM
Nice! Resembles the handle on my #7.

Jim Barrett
03-25-2009, 8:52 PM
George,
The handle looks great! Nice job!
Regards,
Jim

Brian Kent
03-25-2009, 11:00 PM
In addition to being very beautiful work, this also teaches me a lot. The light wood and good photography shows me where to round off and where to leave crisp. I like the V-notches. I don't know where they enhance without weakening yet, so I'll just watch and enjoy.

george wilson
03-25-2009, 11:04 PM
The notches do not go very deep into the wood,if you look closely. They do not weaken anything. The tongue is the weakest point,though you'd have to exert extreme abuse on the handle to even get close to breaking it. By that time,I guess the blade would be toast,too.

george wilson
03-26-2009, 10:30 AM
My wife,who is a very good photographer,took the pictures on the large dining table I made for her last year. Used up a lot of 16" wide curly maple on it,too!!