PDA

View Full Version : A bronze drill by me

george wilson
03-25-2009, 8:35 PM
This drill is reminescent of a few high quality,possibly one-off 19th.C. drills that I have seen a very few of. This particular drill surprised me by appearing on the cover of a Lee Valley Winter? catalog some years ago.

It is my own design. Once again,I don't knowhow to make multiple photos in a post yet,so will have to post different views.

The wood is rosewood. This drill is 14" long,and the large bevel gear is 3 3/4" dia. All the steel parts are tool steel.The chuck is simple,and takes 1/4" shank bits,which have to be made for it. I need to get around to making a box for it.

Jim Kountz
03-25-2009, 8:52 PM
George that is absolutely gorgeous!! Your work is amazing, can I get one of these?? LOL
Beautiful!!

george wilson
03-25-2009, 8:55 PM
Wish I had the energy!!! I do have the makings for 1 more still on hand.

Jameel Abraham
03-25-2009, 9:45 PM
George, your posts are buffets of beauty!

george wilson
03-25-2009, 9:48 PM
Thank you,Jameel. If they were WARREN BUFFETS I'd be rich! Jameel,I read all of your pages about oud making. You set a very great table,yourself!!

Gary Herrmann
03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Oh, very nice, George. Beautiful and functional - the ultimate for any tool.

Roy Wall
03-25-2009, 10:11 PM
George -

The drill is stunning - a masterpiece indeed!! All you tools are beautifully made and very impressive. Thanks for showing them -- amazing!!

Now, for the multiple images:

Just click on the 'manage attachments' button when you are starting the thread. From there you can upload an image (<107kb in size) from your computer. It will be shown within the little uploading box. Once uploaded, click 'browse' again to retreive another image. SO on and so forth till you get FIVE images showing in the little upload window. Then exit from that window and you'll see them attached to your original post. once you submit they should all appear.

again - NICE TOOLS!

george wilson
03-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Where is browse? I am going to have to re shoot a lot of stuff,because my files are way too big.Tonight is my first attempt,and these pics are about 2 mega bytes,which is stretching it. Also need to know how to reduce the size of my pictures. By the way,I have a Mac,and may NOT have the "browse" feature. I had to dope out how to do this by myself today. A moderator sent me instructions,but they are not for a Mac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated from anyone.

harry strasil
03-25-2009, 10:27 PM
My T shirt is staying wet from drooling, Shame on you. LOL

Roy Wall
03-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Where is browse? I am going to have to re shoot a lot of stuff,because my files are way too big.Tonight is my first attempt,and these pics are about 2 mega bytes,which is stretching it. Also need to know how to reduce the size of my pictures. By the way,I have a Mac,and may NOT have the "browse" feature. I had to dope out how to do this by myself today. A moderator sent me instructions,but they are not for a Mac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated from anyone.

George,

When you hit 'manage attachments' (lower down on the screen when creating a new thread........this pops up:

Manage Attachments
Upload File from your Computer

Upload File from a URL

Uploading File(s) - Please Wait

Max Width Max Height

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

- -

The 'browse' button is up on the top of this window......see it? That's how you search your Mac for the folder that contains your images.

Do you have iPhoto? You should be able to resize your images. Try to make them about 4x6 inches at 60 pixels per inch (or 'dpi' as they say.

I'm on my PC now , but have a Mac too......

george wilson
03-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Thank you. I'll check it out tomorrow,Roy.

Brian Kent
03-25-2009, 11:24 PM
As for resizing the photos from a Mac, use iPhoto that comes with the computer. If the photo is not in iPhoto, just drag it into the iPhoto window or over the icon.

Highlight in iPhoto.
From the "File" menu select "Export".
Choose the Web Page block.
Type in an image size about 480 in the largest direction
Click "Export"

This 1 MB image came out about 40 KB.

george wilson
03-25-2009, 11:29 PM
I wish I could make the files smaller in IPhoto,but it doesn't seem possible.

Brian Kent
03-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Does your iPhoto have the export command in the file menu?

Derek Cohen
03-26-2009, 12:09 AM
By George George, that is simply magnificent!

It takes my breath away.

More detail about construction - casting, machining, etc. Please!

Of course I can never again show any of my tools ... (hangs head in shame).

Regards from Perth

Derek

george wilson
03-26-2009, 9:53 AM
Derek,I appreciate your enjoyment of the work,and hope such that I am able to offer to the forum may inspire others to make tools also. The ones you make should be your favorites once you are able to make good ones.

I made the frame from one piece of bronze. Every thing is one piece,gears and all. At the time I had a 10" Jet bench lathe to do the turnings. Ornamental mouldings like around the large gear were done with freehand held turning tools.

The steel parts are all 01 drill rod. The small bevel gear,though it can't be seen too well,has the chuck's shaft running up through it,with a 60 degree female center drilled cavity on it's upper end. This meets a 60 degree pointed 1/2" shaft that mates into it. The shafts are both very hardened. This serves as the primary thrust bearing for the chuck. Such pressure as is applied in drilling is nowhere near enough to wear this thrust bearing.

The crank handle swivels upon its tool steel shaft. Where this shaft goes through the serpentine handle,thereis a round,hardened steel jam nut with 2 flat spots upon it to tighten the handle's shaft against.

I need to get around to recessing the 2 filister head screws that bear against the main shaft just before it enters the handle. At the time,I liked their looks the way they are,but have thought since that this feature is poor practice.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-26-2009, 6:50 PM
pretty~!!
You machined and cast all the metal work too?

george wilson
03-26-2009, 6:56 PM
Yes,Cliff. everything except the 2 filister head screws.

Joe Cunningham
03-26-2009, 7:06 PM
The quality of craftmanship on SMC always stuns me, but for tools this has to be one of the most impressive I've seen. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Functional art, the best kind IMO.

Mike Henderson
03-26-2009, 7:29 PM
That's stunning, George. You have talents in many areas (not just wood).

Mike

Ed Nelson978
03-26-2009, 8:07 PM
That is an amazing piece of craftsmanship. Are the components sand castings? You guys keep making me want to try new things!

george wilson
03-26-2009, 8:08 PM
It is a real compliment coming from a craftsman,Mike. Thank you,and Joe,too. Ed,that's exactly the effect I would hope for. When I see a nice piece of work,I feel the same way.

Ed Nelson978
03-26-2009, 8:54 PM
I obviously haven't been spending enough time here. I was reading through some of your previous posts. You are indeed quite a craftsman, and that's an understatement! Thanks for sharing and I'll be watching for your posts!

george wilson
05-06-2010, 4:05 PM
Another re post for Matt,who can't get into the FAQ section.