PDA

View Full Version : just your basic closed grip saw handle

Zahid Naqvi
03-26-2009, 3:42 PM
I had a borg purchased Stanley saw, which comes with a mitre box. It had one of those black plastic handles.

With all these posts flying around I figured this saw was a good candidate for a handle upgrade. Robert was kind enough to provide the pattern (which looked small when I transferred it to a polycarb stencil). Despite it's relatively rough construction the handle feels very comfortable and is perfect for my hands.

As you can probably tell the wood is Walnut. The screws are also your basic flat top brass machine screws with similar nuts I got from HD. Coated only with BLO and wax. I am a minimalist when it comes to personal tools and despite encouragement from Robert I chickened out of carving a lamb's tongue, perhaps in the future if I have nothing else to do.

Brian Kent
03-26-2009, 5:10 PM
It looks beautiful and very comfortable. I like the look of the walnut too. How do you like the steel of that saw? I like the idea if it works well for you.

Chris Padilla
03-26-2009, 5:59 PM
Good stuff, Zahid! The next one will have the lamb's tongue, right?! :)

george wilson
03-26-2009, 6:30 PM
Zahid,as close as you came,you might as well cut back into the wood and finish the tongue. You have room left in the wood to do it. No problem to refinish where you recut.

Zahid Naqvi
03-26-2009, 7:35 PM
George, the pattern I had included the lambs tongue, hence the cut out at the bottom, I just couldn't wait to try it on.

Brian the steel is fine. Keep in mind I have never owned a high end saw (Wenzlof or LN etc.) so my comparison might not be very accurate. I sharpened it about a year ago and it is still going strong without the need of a touch up.

Robert Rozaieski
03-26-2009, 9:59 PM
Looks good Zahid! But more importantly, that handle pattern is very comfortable.

Brian Kent
04-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Zahid,

I was copying an idea from a year or so ago (Isn't plagiarism wonderful!) about making a handle for a Crown Gents Saw (which I already had). I was searching it out and I think it is your work I am copying.

Was it you who made that saw, and if so, how do you like it? And do you have any pictures?

Brian

Brian Ward
04-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Zahid,

I was copying an idea from a year or so ago (Isn't plagiarism wonderful!) about making a handle for a Crown Gents Saw (which I already had). I was searching it out and I think it is your work I am copying.

Was it you who made that saw, and if so, how do you like it? And do you have any pictures?

I think a lot of people have done the handle for the Crown saw trick (Alan DuBoff I think did one too?).

I haven't done it for that particular saw (yet) but I have for some other gents-handled backsaws. I've been really happy with the way they turned out, it's a nice trick for obtaining a custom backsaw both inexpensively and without a ton of metalworking tools. All you tend to need are the usual saw-sharpening suspects, a hacksaw, and something resembling a rasp for shaping the handle.

Zahid Naqvi
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Brian, It's a very basic design. I'll take some pictures and post them here later tonight.