PDA

View Full Version : Best Carbide Burnisher Source?

Danny Thompson
03-26-2009, 6:28 PM
I know a bunch of yuse guys found one at a yard sale, made your own, use your grand-pappy's screwdriver, etc., but none of these are a real option for me. With that said . . .

I noticed on his Card Scraper video, Chris Schwarz recommended a carbide burnisher with a pointed tip. I can't seem to find one on the market from a modern manufacturer. Are any manufacturers still making these?

If no, is there a good used source? What make?

If there is no good used source, what about simply a carbide burnisher (no pointed tip)? Are Lie Nielsen ang Blue Spruce the best options?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Dominic Greco
03-26-2009, 7:13 PM
I know a bunch of yuse guys found one at a yard sale, made your own, use your grand-pappy's screwdriver, etc., but none of these are a real option for me. With that said . . .

I noticed on his Card Scraper video, Chris Schwarz recommended a carbide burnisher with a pointed tip. I can't seem to find one on the market from a modern manufacturer. Are any manufacturers still making these?

If no, is there a good used source? What make?

If there is no good used source, what about simply a carbide burnisher (no pointed tip)? Are Lie Nielsen ang Blue Spruce the best options?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

If you are set on a carbide burnisher, I searched on ENCO's web site and came up with the following:
1/4" dia x 4" long Carbide Rod (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=325-2399&PMPXNO=5809272)
It's selling for $12.95

Get a handle for it (or go "au Natural") and Bob's-Your-Uncle.

James Carmichael
03-26-2009, 7:24 PM
A $5 straight router bit from woodcraft. The HSS shank works fine, but I guess I could use the carbide inserts.

Jim McFarland
03-26-2009, 7:28 PM
I like Bob Z's in olivewood:
http://www.czeckedge.com/burnishers.html

harry strasil
03-26-2009, 8:44 PM
I use old solid 3 inch long Carbide burrs from my air and elect die grinders. Try a machine shop to see if they have any messed up carbide burrs and just drill a bit smallerr than 1/4 inch hole in a wood file handle and push it in messed up cutting end first. A drop of 3 in 1 or any light oil, helps too.

Dave Anderson NH
03-27-2009, 11:49 AM
If you know someone who works for a waterjet cutting company or a company which uses a waterjet get your hands on the worn out nozzles. Most nozzles are .312" diameter solid carbide and have a conical taper on one end (though not a point). Most are roughly 3.5 to 4" long and make wonderful burnishers. They are nice and smooth on the outside, and only the inside diameter is worn from use. Mine works quite well.

Mike Brady
03-27-2009, 4:21 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe that the burnisher that Chris talked about was not carbide. It is a vintage one in high-speed steel. The new burnisher from Lie-Nielsen is fabulous. If you are desperate for a carbide one, I have a 3/8" by 4" carbide one in a nice maple handle that I could part with now that I have the L-N one. After using carbide, I wouldn't want a steel burnisher. They all scratch eventually unless they are carbide.

Johnny Kleso
03-29-2009, 4:58 PM
IMHO,
Carbide is a bad choice...

Its so hard you could snap it truning a burr or if dropped..
It also dosent have a extra smooth finish either...

I think a HSS Drill Blank is the best for the job..

Its Moore's Law..
More Harder is not always better.....