PDA

View Full Version : Chair prototype with some questions

Bill Huber
03-26-2009, 9:03 PM
The picture below is a kids chair I am working on, this is just the prototype from poplar to see how things looked and worked out. I have never made a chair before and before I get some good maple I want to make sure I do it right. The seat hight is 12", the seat is 12" x 11" and it is 22" tall.

At this point I am going to trim it down some, the legs are 1 1/2" now and I thing that 1" would work fine. The back will get trimmed down from 1" to 1/2" with 1/4" slats. Thoughts on this trim, is it to much?????

The back is at 5 degrees but the legs are straight, should the back legs be set to 5 degrees also for better stability?

The back top and bottom rails will be 1/2 x 1 x 10, I plan to cut a 1/4 x 1 1/2 mortise and the slats will be 1 1/2 x 1/4, there will be 4 of them. Should the rails be thicker, there will only be 1/8" of wood in front and back of the slat.

The bottom braces will be 3/4 x 3/4 all the way around, they will be off set from each other not like the prototype.

Thanks for any input.......:rolleyes:

Jim Kountz
03-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Well Bill just looking at the picture there I think overall it looks pretty good. I dont know that I would take the legs to 1", maybe 1 1/4" might carry the chair a little better. I would maybe take the back up a couple inches higher?? Its a nice basic chair though and kudos to you, chairs can be such a pain!!

Jim Kountz
03-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Ok nevermind about taking the back up I just re-read your post and saw its a kids chair. Dont know how I missed that the first time!!

Bill Huber
03-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Ok nevermind about taking the back up I just re-read your post and saw its a kids chair. Dont know how I missed that the first time!!

Do you think that 1/8 of an inch on each side of the slats is enough?

Jim Kountz
03-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Hhmm tough call there Bill, doesnt sound like alot of material but then again I dont think there would be alot of weight involved if its a kids chair. On the other hand though kids can sure be tough on things!! My son tore his door off the hinges when he was 6 just playing around. He was swinging on the darn thing and well...........its another story!!