PDA

View Full Version : Old and copied Groves closed handles.

george wilson
03-27-2009, 2:52 PM
This shows both the original Groves,and the pretty much straight copy,as far as handle shape,that I made of it. I got pretty close,but did not get"microscopic" in the details.

Jon van der Linden
03-27-2009, 8:40 PM
It's nice to see the two side by side like that. I notice that you made the grip a little more vertical. Overall I prefer your shape to the original, perhaps because of the refinement of the horns.

On the original I like the way the chamfer above the nut is tapered rather than rectangular. The tapering of the rounded portion of the inside of the grip is also particularly nice. The way it thins at the top and then widens again is almost like calligraphy.

Thanks for sharing.

george wilson
03-27-2009, 9:18 PM
Sharp eyes,Jon. I prefer to make the tapered chamfer straight,myself. They may have made it tapered because they needed to clear the large medallion. I think it makes more sense sculpturally to have the chamfer to be parallel. I like your observation about the rounding of the inside of the handle varying,like calligraphy.I will keep that in mind. Little things like these make for good design,though my line around the inside does constantly vary as you look around it,giving a smooth,flaring and tightening line. Do you have work to show? You have a good eye for design.

Jim Kountz
03-27-2009, 9:55 PM
George couldnt help but notice how the handle "hole" looks like an ear!! How old is the original on the picture??

george wilson
05-06-2010, 3:54 PM
Sorry,Jim,I didn't see your question. I really don't know how old the original Groves handle is. I think that Groves made some of the nicest designed saws made in the 19th. C..