PDA

View Full Version : Queen Elizabeth's gift-Saffron pot

george wilson
03-27-2009, 10:22 PM
When Queen Elizabeth visited the states not too long ago,she visited Col.Williamsburg and William and Mary College. I was asked to work on gifts for both visits,but did not take pictures of the college's gift,which I made the box for.

The gift here was a saffron pot,that the silversmiths made,and a chest I was asked to make to hold it.The saffron pot was only about the size of an orange. Saffron tea was a very expensive drink made from saffron and sugar. Thus,it was served in very small cups.The original pot is in Williamsburg's collections.

This chest holds the pot exactly without any shake when it is closed. It is made of English walnut,which is so nice to work. It has very small pores,and is not as brittle as black walnut. I have used it stained black as a very realistic substitute for ebony,when making bases for an award that Williamsburg gives out about every year: the Churchill Bell award. I was not able to get very large,thick ebony for the bases(2"X10").

I designed the chest so that it falls open in front and on top,fully revealing the saffron pot.

I decided to base the design on William and Mary style. The brass knob on top of the box is a duplicate of the knob on top of the pot,except it is all metal.

I also made the brass "cabbage feet" on the bottom of the chest,as well as the hook,which I made with a little finger tab on it for added elegance. I have made many hooks,and never got around to getting them cast.

The screws in the hinges,and the hook are fire blued and polished,in the manner of the best in period work.

The back corners are tightly dovetailed,and you can see a 1/8" ebony dowell I drilled all the way through the depth of the dovetails. they will never come loose.

It cannot be seen,but the lid has broad bevels,adding to its stacked appearance.

The chest is lined with cotton velvet.There is a round walnut cylinder in the top of the chest,that embraces the knob on the pot wen the lid is lowered.It is hollowed to fit the knob,and lined with velvet.

I cut grooves around all the perimeters of the velvet linings,to press the velvet into,and pressed and glued a silver cord into the grooves,to gracefully terminate the lining.

Like all of these special projects,the decision makers waited till the last minute,and beyond,to decide on a gift.We were working 7 days a week,and evenings to get this done. Regretfully,there wasn't time to get the hardware silver plated.

I think what really makes the pot is the extremely skillful engraving copied from the original by Lynn,our engraver in the silversmith's shop. She is in her 20's.

Ted Calver
03-27-2009, 10:35 PM
George,
Thanks for sharing these beauties. I think you have the makings for a book.

Roger Barlow
03-27-2009, 11:09 PM
That's very clean and elegant, and very cool to work on such a commission!

Ray Gardiner
03-28-2009, 2:06 AM
Hi George,

Stunning work, and a real achievement to work on such a prestigious commission, I trust that HRH was suitably pleased.

That picture would be the front cover of the book right there!

Regards
Ray

george wilson
03-28-2009, 8:44 AM
Thank you all,but of course the silver saffron pot was the real gift here,and they did a really excellent job on it. Of course,she is given gifts wherever she goes. Must be a huge number of them. These gifts really belong to the state,I believe.they will end up in a display somewhere,I expect.

george wilson
03-28-2009, 2:02 PM
Ray,in the end,this gift was anticlimactic. When the president of Col. Wmsbg. presented her with the box,her guards would not let her accept it BECAUSE THE BOX WAS CLOSED!!!One of her guards took it away,and opened it. There have been attempts on her life,so that was the protocol. This after the huge number of hours we spent hustling to get it done.

The college's gift went better. The box I made was presented open,with a gold medal with a silk ribbon neatly mounted inside.This happened before she came down the street to Col.Wmsbg.,so no one anticipated the trouble,I suppose.

Ray Gardiner
03-28-2009, 8:49 PM
Hi George,

Outch, I can imagine that would have been a bit of an anti-climax after all the rush to get it finished. Although, in this case it makes the story more interesting and adds a touch of intrigue. I'm not sure what the protocol regarding ownership of gifts is when it comes to the Queen, but, I seem to recall that elected politicians are obliged to pass any gifts they receive onto the state. I wouldn't be surprised however if the Queen get's to keep her gifts. So it's probably on display somewhere in one of the royal palaces.

It's one of those things, that you can always look back on, and remember with pride for years to come. A memorable acheivment.

Regards
Ray

John Shuk
03-29-2009, 9:21 AM
That is a wonderful gift befitting of a state treasure.

Matt Ranum
03-29-2009, 10:41 AM
A gift that one makes that is to be presented to a head of State is quite an honor. One to tell the Grandkids about.

Your talent is truly amazing.

george wilson
03-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Thank you,Matt,John,and Ray. Actually,I made gifts for most of the major heads of state during the Reagan presidency.When he was first elected,he made a big European trip,and got us to make gifts for the major leaders.they are mostly silver,and some wood. I did the wooden parts,the dies for drawing the moulded wires,the master patterns for handles and feet,and special forms to hammer the silver over. This went on into the Clinton presidency. Whenever a dignitary would visit here,they would want a gift made,so I got to make a lot of nice things.Better things than the usual run of the mill day to day things. I didn't get pictures of everything,because the decision makers waited forever to order a gift,though they knew a year in advance of these visits. They just thought we could pull it out of thin air(or,someplace else!) I even made something for Chairman Mao!

Richard Wolf
03-30-2009, 7:35 PM
George, it is very clear that your talents surpass most mortals. Your life's
work is outstanding.
Here's my question to your, you have skills and talents that are in your genes, but what would you contribute to your above normal skills? Is it practice, studies, being taught or being in an environment like Williamsburg? I'm sure the answer is a combination of many things, but I would like to know your feelings on it.
You also get my vote for writing a book, great stuff.

Richard

george wilson
03-30-2009, 7:44 PM
I was largely self taught,having lived on light houses,and Alaska most of my young life. At the time I entered college,I had been building since 13,but a great sculpture teacher got me on the right track in taste,design and sculpture.He became head of the art dept. at Harvard later.

I developed an eye for detail early on. The rest is being too stubborn to give up,I guess.And having enough sense to accept criticism from a stern master like my teacher was. He really was arrogant sometimes,and still is. But I could see what he could do,and I stuck with him every minute I could.

Phil Thien
04-01-2009, 8:27 PM
Beautiful work. I am extremely impressed.

george wilson
04-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Tony,I just do not know enough about computers to do that yet. I wasn't born to them,and only recently have begun to use them. I only found out how to post images in the past several days.

Back in Reagan's administration,we made gifts for him to give most of the heads of state. I took part in most of those gifts. After that,there was some kind of disconnect with the White House that I don't know about. Now,lord knows what politicians who don't know anything about quality or elegance,give as gifts. Through other channels,I continued to make gifts through the Clinton administration.

Derek Cohen
04-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi George

I looked at your box and thought to myself of the enormous pleasure that you must have experienced in making it. It is a beautiful box, and no doubt there will be those (unfortunately probably not the Queen) that will have the opportunity to admire the details and the thought that went into every part of it. To a far lesser degree for many like myself, and to a far greater degree for a very few such as yourself, it is the ability to create what lies in your imagination, to make the inspiration become a reality, well .. that is a rare moment and one that we all aspire to.

Please continue to post these delights here. I add a vote for a book of them. I cannot promise to get past a page a day.

Regards from Perth

Derek

george wilson
04-06-2009, 7:25 PM
Derek,it was good to be able to concieve and execute my own design.The big problem always was lack of advance time on these special gifts. All of us were working 7 days a week plus evenings to get the job done.That isn't a lot of fun,and I would like to have been able to get the hardware silver plated,to go with the pot.

Just about every gift I ever was asked to make was at the last minute.I had as little as 3 days notice on some gifts. It is truly aggravating that the decision makers have no concept of how much effort things can take. Well,I don't have to put up with that anymore. There is another large entity that has kept asking me to make things,then,they keep changing their minds about it. I then just tell them to count me out. Think they'll ever learn? No.

Charles Bodner
04-06-2009, 9:42 PM
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson