PDA

View Full Version : honing angle for LA block plane?

Jake Goodson
03-28-2009, 2:32 PM
What angle do you all sharpen your low angle block plane iron to? I'm a fan of the David Charlesworth approach for sharpening plane irons, but starting with an iron grounded at 25 degrees and putting two steeper bevels on it gives at least 30 degrees. Add that to the 12 degree bedding angle and I've lost most of the advantage of the low bedding angle...

So do you all re-ground to lower than 25 degree primary bevel, or just not do a secondary bevel on a low-angle plane iron?

Brian Kent
03-28-2009, 3:25 PM
Jake

I have another block plane at about 45°, so I like to keep my low angle block plane at 25° for the sake of end-grain. As it turns out, it works just fine for edge and corner planing too.

With only one, I would probably go with your idea too. My low angle is a LN pocket plane. The others are a small Krenov style and an old Stanley.

Brian

Danny Thompson
03-28-2009, 7:20 PM
I do 25º primary with a single 2º microbevel. If I wanted 2 microbevels, I'd make them 1º each.

Derek Cohen
03-28-2009, 7:40 PM
You don't actually HAVE to use microbevels, and especially TWO...

Try either: flat primary bevel at 25 degrees and a 1 or 2 degree secondary microbevel. Or a hollow grind at 25 degrees and honing this, which will give you a microbevel at 25 degrees.

I doubt that the wood would know the difference. I won't tell if you don't tell :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jake Goodson
03-28-2009, 8:20 PM
25 degrees plus a small microbevel it is, thanks for the help,

Jake

Ben Rafael
03-28-2009, 9:33 PM
25degrees, no microbevel. I've just never been a fan of microbevels.

Harry Goodwin
03-29-2009, 3:43 PM
I am aware of that rule trick but I would not buy a used plane the had been lifted on the back unless it was so cheap & I could order a new blade. Just my 2 cents. If the back is too much work start with a course stone. Harry