PDA

View Full Version : Closeup of silver inlaid Italian guitar neck

george wilson
03-29-2009, 7:53 PM
I was unable to upload all 3 pictures of the 17th.C. Italian guitar with marquetry body. Please refer to that posting for a full description of the instrument,and the other photographs. This shows the silver wire lnlay in the stained pearwood neck of the guitar. The frets are real gut,tied with a small knot on the left side.The ends of the gut are burned into little balls to prevent them coming undone. They were made movable in the period for playing in meantone scales at that time. Today,we use fixed frets and space them to play in a tempered scale,which was invented in the later 18th.C.

george wilson
03-30-2009, 8:59 AM
Bump to re connect this with the main posting.

Jim Kountz
03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Thats some fantastic inlay work, dont think I would have the patience for something like that!! Great work!!

george wilson
03-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Thank you Jim. If you read how I did it,you might be more encouraged. I drew my own rectangular wire,but you might be able to buy some from Rio Grande. Dixie Gun Works sells rectangular brass wire,but it is stiff,and would need to be annealed.Heat it with a torch carefully so it doesn't collapse. Get it red hot,or close to red,and let it cool,or quench it in water.The same applies to silver wire. Thin wire is tricky to anneal as it can melt so easily.

James Stokes
03-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Very impressive I must say. I would not have the patience either.

Marc Casebolt
03-30-2009, 12:51 PM
George,

I have been looking at all your posts of your work, and I just wanted to say that it is inspirational. I hope some day to be able to at least come close to your work, but that day is a long way off.

Thank you for sharing,

Marc

george wilson
03-30-2009, 2:05 PM
Glad you all have enjoyed it.

Pam Niedermayer
03-30-2009, 7:29 PM
George, can you tell me more about the frets? I take it meantone requires different fret placements on each string, since the only adjustment that can be made with one end anchored is variable. Right? Also, what is each fret tied to on the knot side? And is that knot anchor moveable? Were the strings also gut? Were any of the gut strings wrapped with metal (did they do that back in the day?)?

Thanks,
Pam

george wilson
03-30-2009, 7:52 PM
Pam,the frets are moveable,and could be slightly adjusted to play more perfectly in tune in each key. Later on,the tempered scale was invented,and compositions like "The well tempered clavier" began to be written. It was a novelty to be able to play in different keys,which is what that composition does.

The whole fret was moved,not just 1 end. I hope this explains this. Google mean tone tuning,and see what you can find to further explain it.

Actually,only fretless instruments like violins can play perfectly in tune in every key,since a skilled player places his finger exactly where it needs to be to do that. With energy being continuously pumped into the string by the bow,the vibrations of the string can be sustained,even with a soft fingertip pressing it down. On the guitar,a muffled sound would result without frets.

Dan Sink
03-30-2009, 10:50 PM
George,

I have been looking at all your posts of your work, and I just wanted to say that it is inspirational. I hope some day to be able to at least come close to your work, but that day is a long way off.

Thank you for sharing,

Marc

Yes George, please keep them coming. I've been reading your posts and looking at your work in awe. You truly are an artist.