PDA

View Full Version : Gloat: Ogontz Tool Co.

Radek Kowalski
03-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Hey Creekers,
About a month ago I went to a CWT meeting, my first one. I am a active member in several clubs and I'm a sucker for raffle tickets. I had thrown several tickets into the bucket with the hand plane. Who would have guessed, a jointers plane at a Chicago Wood Turners meeting?

Well I came home with a sweet jointers plane. It says Ogontz Tool Co. 25"
The actual length is 26". Can anyone tell me anything about this plane? Thanks.

http://www.radeksfishroom.com/images/shop/ogontztoolco25.jpg

Robert Rozaieski
03-30-2009, 7:45 AM
Nice plane! I believe Ogontz tool was a name used by the Ohio Tool Company. They also used the Sandusky Tool, Ohio Tool, Scioto Works Tool Co. and Sargent Tool Co. brands if I remember correctly or at least had a hand in those names somewhere. Do a Google search on these other names and it will give you some information on Ohio Tool Co. It should work well for you. I have several Ohio planes and they make good users. Nothing collectible about them but good users.

Don McConnell
03-30-2009, 9:15 AM
According to Pollak (_A Guide to Makers of American Wooden Planes_), "Ogontz Tool Co. was a brand name used by the Sandusky Tool Co. ... from 1885-1920, on tools distributed by Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett ... and possibly others ... ." Also per Pollak, Ogontz was a chief of the Ottawa, of Sandusky OH, in the early part of the 19th century.

I suspect they used the same numbering system on their Ogontz planes as on those marked with the Sandusky Tool Co. name. If so, the #25 refers to a double iron jointer plane with a "start" (strike button). The 1925 catalogue refers to them as "Polished Lignum Vitae Starts." They came in lengths from 24 to 30 inches.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR