PDA

View Full Version : I need help for my next plane.

Fidel Fernandez
03-29-2009, 10:33 PM
I use my power tools to mile my wood, but after finishing with the jointer/planner I always hit it with hand planes to remove the roughness from the power tool.
I had several planes such as LN 7 1/2, Jack Plane, low angle block plane, medium shoulder plane, Scrub plane and I have (I regret this one) LV 4 1/2.

I cannot make it work the LV 4 1/2. I sharp the blade and keep the mouth close enough to have thin shaves, but after any try it creates ridges, loose its sharp too quick, it is rust prone, well you got the idea, I hate this plane. I tried to crown the blade to avoid the ridges, no luck. So I am using my Jack as an smoother with the crown blade and it works fine but it is too narrow.

I am planning to buy a new smooth plane or something similar but I am tore in between options. I can replace it for LN 4 1/2 but I was thinking to get a low angle jack plane or low angle smooth plane.

I like the idea of the low angle because it is versatile. I was also thinking to get a scraper plane for difficult woods.

The problem is I don't have that kind of money floating around here and It has to be a LN. I don't want to deal again with LV planes.

Could the LA smooth replace the 4 1/2?
Could the LA smooth work as smoother and as LA Jack?
Could the LA Jack replace the smoother?

Any sugestions? :confused::confused::confused:

Joel Goodman
03-30-2009, 1:03 AM
I have the LN #62 low angle jack and find that I like it better as a smoother than my ECE smoother. If you get a BU plane like the #62 get an extra blade to sharpen at a higher angle. But the LN low angle jack is not as wide as a 4 1/2 -- the iron is 2" just as wide as a regular #4 or #5. If you like the 7 1/2 it's basically a smaller version.
Regarding your LV 4 1/2 if the iron will not hold an edge I would send the plane back to LV and have them look at it. They stand behind their stuff and I'm sure will help you out. I'd give them a call and try to see what's wrong before you spend the $ the replace it. BD planes like the 4 1/2 can be a little more fussy to get set up than the BU variety.

Brian Kent
03-30-2009, 1:15 AM
Fidel,

I've never tried the LV 4-1/2. I wonder about calling them and asking their advice to improve the performance. I have the LV Low Angle Jack and have had excellent luck with it. I often use it as a smoother too.

Brian

John Keeton
03-30-2009, 6:40 AM
Fidel, another vote for the LV LA BU Jack! Excellent plane, and will do both jobs. I do not have the LV 4.5, however, I notice that it is for sale occasionally on the bay, while other LV planes are kind of scarce on there. Maybe that says something???

I vote get rid of it - you have lost confidence in it. Get something from which you can get consistent performance.

Rob Lee
03-30-2009, 7:35 AM
Hi Fidel -

If you don't like the 4 1/2, why don't you return it???

If you like - I will will swap it for a LA Jack - which would be my recommendation as well...

We don't want you keeping a product you're not happy with.

Just let me know - I can get one sent today.

Cheers -

Rob Lee

John Keeton
03-30-2009, 8:00 AM
Now THAT is customer service!!!! Which is why I own Veritas planes:D

Thomas Pender
03-30-2009, 8:03 AM
I think Rob's offer to swap planes is extraordinary, but typical of Lee Valley. When I bought two LV planes (plus other neat stuff) at the Woodworking Show this weekend in Chantilly, VA, the salesman made it clear I could return the goods if they did not work. BTW - I got 10% off and free shipping at the show. First place I head to at the show is the Lee Valley area. BTW - my LV Bevel Up smoother is a delight. I use it on panels of all kinds and it makes even me look skillful and produces a shiny smooth finish.:D

Barry Rowland
03-30-2009, 8:28 AM
Wow! Take Rob's offer! I would! I own the LV BU Jointer and LA Jack.

Could not be happier.

Now saving up for the smoother....

Fidel Fernandez
03-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi Fidel -

If you like - I will will swap it for a LA Jack - which would be my recommendation as well...

Cheers -

Rob Lee
Rob,

This is incredible to have a customer service like this. I honestly was not expecting an offer like this, I was just asking for advice.
Yes, I would like to swap the plane if that is possible, let me know how to do it.

P.S.

I am really impress. :)

Rob Lee
03-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi Fidel -

If you can confirm your address with me (email, and regular!) at rlee@leevalley.com , I'll have it all looked after. Pls also let me know if you prefer O1, or A2 steel...

Cheers -

Rob

Mark Roderick
03-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Rob, I was once really unhappy with the packaging on a Lee Valley product. I thought the box was really too brown, when I much prefer a slightly more tan look.

Can I exchange that unsightly box for your bevel-up smoother?

Rob Lee
03-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Rob, I was once really unhappy with the packaging on a Lee Valley product. I thought the box was really too brown, when I much prefer a slightly more tan look.

Can I exchange that unsightly box for your bevel-up smoother?

Mark -

You're two days early...:rolleyes::D:D

(and you left out the word "box" after smoother....:p)

Cheers -

Rob

Mark Roderick
03-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Darn, I was hoping you might miss the logic there.

Scott Mark
03-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I came across this thread while I was listening to the President explain how Chrysler and GM are going to get taken to the back yard and beat like an old rug on a clothes line to get all the dust beat out just to get the companies functional again.

It's awesome to see this kind of action by any company. Having the owner personally intervene in a situation like this is a great example for any of us. Even more so for those of us who own our own business. My experience with GM has been nothing but the opposite over the past 7 years.

I know this is weird, but after reading this I'm even more proud to have the LV plane that I do.

Just my $0.02.

C. Scott Mark

"There are places out there that have positive work environments!" - Jeremy (Polish name I can never spell)

Joel Goodman
03-30-2009, 1:22 PM
Bravo LV. I have always found LV and LN to be the ultimate in customer service. And they both have great stuff.

Ken Werner
03-30-2009, 1:38 PM
Kudos to Mr. Lee. I was at the show in Saratoga this weekend, and as always, the LV crew were wonderful to deal with. Thank you.

Dan Sink
03-30-2009, 3:16 PM
Wow! After reading this thread, I will be visiting leevalley.com a lot more when I'm ready to buy. That is impressive customer service.

Billy Chambless
03-30-2009, 5:29 PM
I know this is weird, but after reading this I'm even more proud to have the LV plane that I do.

Same here. I was just thinking, "Great return policy -- too bad I never want to return anything I get from them!"

Scott Stafford
04-09-2009, 8:31 PM
This is the reason I recently purchased a Lee Valley BU jointer, BU jack, and a BU smoother to go with my already owned low-angle smooth plane and my several Lee Valley block planes. Exceptional products; exceptional service!

Rob, thanks for setting the bar so high!

Best regards,

Scott Stafford
Montana

PS. Was this a back-door gloat? :O)

Mike Cutler
04-09-2009, 9:03 PM
Hi Fidel -

Cheers -

Rob Lee

Fidel

I own twenty Lie-Nielsen planes, but this is why I don't hesitate one iota to recommend LV Planes as a sight unseen purchase. You just can't go wrong.

Well done Rob. Well done.

I think I have some "holes" in my plane collection that need filling.;)

Jim Koepke
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I think I have some "holes" in my plane collection that need filling.;)

Don't we all?:cool:

jim

Charles Shenk
04-10-2009, 12:07 PM
As someone who is self-employed, I can't understand companies or people who don't take care of their customers. Goodwill spreads like wildfire...so does a bad reputation. Mr Lee understands that the best marketing is positive word of mouth. He makes one guy's situation a happy one and in turn gets a new handful of people who want to fill in their collection. Kudos Rob!

Fidel Fernandez
04-19-2009, 4:37 PM
Well, I just want to report that I have received the LV JP LA BU fast and very courteous from Mr. Lee.

I didn't have time to test it because I was trying to save my job (IT job), but I lost my battle and since 4/15 I have joined the ranks of the unemployed.

This weekend with time on my hands I decided to give it a try. I removed the anti rust shield with mineral oil from the body and blade.
I used my water stones to lap the back of the blade, but my surprise was when I read the message on the blade box, Lee Valley has already taken care of that, I just spent 1-2 minutes with my 1000 stone and it was done. I went to my 8000 stone and I have now a mirror reflection on the back of the blade.
I grabbed my honing jig and started to polish the bevel and it was very sharp in no time.
I still don't know how to sharpen the blade to cut hair just by touching it, but I was able to slide the blade on my arm and in no time I was hairless :D, I tried with the end grain pine and the cut was smooth as glass.
I grabbed some maple and went to try it. I got some tear out so, I adjusted the opening and retracted the blade a bit and voila, no more tear out and I was able to repair the damage in no time.

Mr. Lee, I want to say thank you and I admire how you run a company that stands behind the products. ( I cannot say the same from my old company). Let me tell you, I was a client from Lee Valley before, but now I am hooked for life.

Did I say the JP is a beauty? It is very well done.

Kudos to you.

Fidel Fernandez
Lee Valley customer for life
Houston, TX.

Bruce Page
04-19-2009, 4:48 PM
Same here. I was just thinking, "Great return policy -- too bad I never want to return anything I get from them!"

Happy camper here too!

John Keeton
04-19-2009, 8:14 PM
Fidel, congrats on the plane, but I really hate to hear about the job situation. My daughter lives in the Dallas FW area, and things there still seem to be going well on the economy front. Hope it turns around for you soon. In the meantime - make some shavings!!

Brett McCrory
04-19-2009, 9:27 PM
I heard recently that a business must choose to compete in 2 out of 3 of the following: low price, great product, great service. If you only pick one, that's not good enough. If you try to do all three, you can't make a profit. Lee Valley obviously goes with product and service. The prices aren't low, but when you feel confident in the product and the service, the prices seem fair.

I have the Veritas 4 1/2 jack. It was my first bench plane, so I had nothing to compare it to. Of course, I tried to learn how to plane on hard maple. My first mistake was having the blade upside down. (The only other plane I'd used was a Veritas LA block plane) I actually got to the point where I could shave pretty fine shavings off of maple. Then, I bought some mahogany to make a picture frame. Whenever I watched a video podcast on using hand planes, the presenter would say that he was cheating by planing mahogany. OMG, I felt such joy from planing with that jack plane. It felt like slicing butter. My lesson learned was the wood was preventing me from seeing what a wonderful plane I owned. Along the way, I learned that Renaissance wax on the bottom of the plane helps significantly.

I think woodworkers are a loyal group. LV made a good investment in this thread. My next new plane will continue to be a Veritas.