PDA

View Full Version : My Poor Fingertips - Kevlar Gloves?

Mark Roderick
03-30-2009, 10:23 AM
I do most of my honing by hand on waterstones, and with small blades I regularly take fine shavings off my fingertips, which I notice only when the blood mixes with the water on the stone. These cuts don't stop bleeding quickly and it's a real hassle. Yesterday, for example, I kept dripping blood onto a beautiful piece of curly maple.

Putting my honing technique to the side (maybe my fingertips are too close to the edge of the blade), I'm thinking there might be something like a kevlar glove. Has anyone here ever heard of such a thing?

Wilbur Pan
03-30-2009, 10:46 AM
If you have some of those nitrile gloves used when you do finishing to keep the nasty solvents off your hands, those are useful for preventing the abraded fingertip issue. The gloves will catch and rip before you start bleeding.

But you can get the same result just by moving your fingers back from the edge a little.

Also, for really small blades I've sometimes made a holder out of a scrap piece of wood.

Robert Eiffert
03-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Would asking the doc why you can't feel your fingertips being abraded be in order?

george wilson
03-30-2009, 11:39 AM
You can buy kevlar gloves at Manhattan Supply Co..I don't know if they will stop cuts,but I got some for my wife because they will stand about 800 degrees IIRC. She handles hot metal at times. You'd be better getting some stainless wire embedded gloves for carvers from ,probably Woodcraft supply.

Mark Roderick
03-30-2009, 11:40 AM
They're not being abraded. They're being sliced by a razor-sharp blade, just enough to draw blood. The sensitivity in my fingertips is wonderful!

Through Google, I see there are a number of types of Kevlar gloves available, including some through Lee Valley. Does anyone here have a favorite?

george wilson
03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Better find out if kevlar will stop cuts before you waste money. it stops bullets,but that is a different mechanism.The wood carver's gloves may be what you want. I just advise you to change your technique,and get your fingers away from those edges!! I very seldom cut myself while sharpening,unless i make a false move and hit the blade.

Mark Roderick
03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Here's when it happens. Let's say I'm honing a block plane blade, which is fairly thin. And let's say I've sharpened it to a fairly high angle because the plane itself is low-angle and I'm working with a highly-figured wood. To hold the bevel flat against the stone without tipping it, I find that I need to get my fingers right down next to the edge. I definitely get the results I want, other than losing blood, but is there a better technique?

I think the kevlar does stop cuts, and the carvers' gloves are probably the ticket.

Robert Eiffert
03-30-2009, 1:33 PM
Sorry for misunderstanding...

Wouldn't gloves make it harder to feel when the bevel is flat to the stone?

I'm left-handed and hold the iron in left, between thumb and two fingers ~inch back from cutting edge. First two fingers of right hand parallel to cutting edge ~ 1/8 inch from edge. Or tips of two fingers ~ 1/8" back and most of right hand resting on left.

Fidel Fernandez
03-30-2009, 3:34 PM
I used to sharp the bevel by hand, but I also cut my fingers so many times so I am using an inexpensive honing guide. With this guide I don't have anymore bleeding and I sharp faster. I paid for my honing guide $14.00.

For the back I am using a magswitch magnet to avoid get cut as well. When I am honing the back I use the magnets and I can hold it better.

Magnets + honing guide = no more bleeding.

Mike Cutler
03-30-2009, 9:27 PM
They're not being abraded. They're being sliced by a razor-sharp blade, just enough to draw blood. The sensitivity in my fingertips is wonderful!

Through Google, I see there are a number of types of Kevlar gloves available, including some through Lee Valley. Does anyone here have a favorite?

Mark

I use the Terminator line of Kevlar gloves at work. They are 20% cut resistant, rubber palms and fingertips, and offer a very good degree of dexterity and feel. There is also an 80% cut resistant glove by the same company, but the dexterity isn't there.
I have used the 20% cut resistant gloves to sharpen and they work just fine. Once they get wet though I'm certain some of that cut resistance goes away.
My hands are 8 1/2" from wrist to fingertip, and somewhat fine boned, I wear a size 9 leather glove, and I use the terminator size 8 glove.( They needs to fit tight)
As for the dexterity. I can tie and solder 24 awg silver buss wire and do circuit board repairs wearing them.
I have no clue what makes them 20% or 80% cut resistant.

As for cutting your fingertips, I think you need to move your fingers back a tad. I sometimes do they same thing,and those slices hurt like the dickens.

Chris Setla
03-30-2009, 10:10 PM
I'd wrap the fingers in question with "High Friction Guard Tape" from Lee Valley... or... if you have access to a equine supplies outfit..... "vet wrap" would do the same sort of thing. It's a rubberized stretchy gauze sort of thing..... sticks to itself but not much else. It's pretty tough and if applied correctly should let you hang onto those small bits while honing and protect your skin from those small cuts as well as any abrasion.

Regards

Chris

Dave Samborski
03-30-2009, 10:43 PM
I used to rub my fingertips raw holding the plane iron edges, especially honing the back side of the irons. No more.
I glued a small piece of the sticky drawer liner stuff to a small block and hold that on top of the iron. With plenty of water atop the stone, it holds just fine.
I really think a honing guide is an essential tool to get a consistent honing angle. Saves the fingers too.

Doug Shepard
03-31-2009, 4:36 AM
I'd wrap the fingers in question with "High Friction Guard Tape" from Lee Valley...

Yup. That;s the stuff.

Jeff Willard
03-31-2009, 4:16 PM
Lots of kevlar gloves available, but remember this-if you're cutting yourself while honing, and you put a kevlar glove on, you may then be attempting to cut a kevlar glove. What happens to an edge tool when introduced to kevlar? It dulls it. And in a big way. I'd find an alternative.

george wilson
03-31-2009, 7:51 PM
Just change your technique,or get a sharpening guide if you must. I think you will soon ruin the gloves.

Bob Easton
03-31-2009, 9:41 PM
Consider some recent advice from Chris Schwarz. Sharpen on the pull stroke, not the push stroke. I tried it and have stopped slicing my finger tips. The blades seem to get just as sharp too.