PDA

View Full Version : Vise Chop Width

Jim Eller
03-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I am installing this vise (C) http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49980&cat=1,41659 with a 10 1/2 in jaw width on the end of my bench. My bench is 25" wide.

The question - can I mount the vise in the center and make the chop 25" wide on the movable jaw without getting into a major racking problem or should it be mounted to one side with a shorter chop on the movable jaw?

The 5" on each side of the jaw doesn't look like much but I need advise before I drill holes in the bench top to mount the vise.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

Robert Rozaieski
03-30-2009, 11:54 AM
It will likely rack quite a bit. I had done something similar on my very first bench and it racked so much I eventually just took the vise off and gave it away. If you want a bench width end vise you really need to go with a twin screw.

glenn bradley
03-30-2009, 12:47 PM
My vise face extend only 2-1/2" past either side of my 10" and racking is a problem.

Jim Eller
03-30-2009, 2:38 PM
Thanks guys.

Looks like I will move it to the front.

Other comments still welcome.

Jim

Jim Koepke
03-31-2009, 2:24 AM
I have an inexpensive bench with vises that will rack all the time.
It is my practice when building something to save a piece of scrap to put in the vise to prevent racking. Over time, my collection of antiracking blocks is able to handle just about anything. That and a few wedges and there is not a racking problem.

Many of the scraps have a cut out to fit over the screw and one of the side guides so they do not fall out when the vise is opened.

It is also possible to put a lot of pieces on a dowel so they can be used stacked.

jtk

lowell holmes
03-31-2009, 2:15 PM
Me too! However, I yearn to mount the LV twin screw end of bench vice on the front of my bench. It seems like I've seen that on the Creek, but I can't find it now.
I'm tired of the anti-racking blocks.

Jim Eller
03-31-2009, 3:39 PM
I have an inexpensive bench with vises that will rack all the time.

jtk

I wouldn't call this LV vise "inexpensive". :)

John Schreiber
03-31-2009, 6:37 PM
. . . It is also possible to put a lot of pieces on a dowel so they can be used stacked. . . .
Brilliant! I think I'll be making one of those in the next few days.

glenn bradley
03-31-2009, 11:57 PM
It is also possible to put a lot of pieces on a dowel so they can be used stacked. jtk

Good idea. That works quite well:

Jim Koepke
04-01-2009, 1:02 AM
Good idea. That works quite well:

Great minds think alike, or at least read the same magazines.

jim

Jim Eller
04-01-2009, 8:17 AM
So, i can have 5" on each side of the jaw??

glenn bradley
04-01-2009, 8:40 AM
Great minds think alike, or at least read the same magazines.

jim

No, I just blatantly stole it from your description :D. A great example of a spin-off benefit from our discussions here. Thanks for the tip.

John Schreiber
04-03-2009, 1:30 PM
So, i can have 5" on each side of the jaw??
Yep. So long as you use a spacer when you are only using one side.

Jim Eller
04-03-2009, 1:58 PM
Now ya tell me!:eek::)

I just finished mounting it with 2" on the front side.

Jim