PDA

View Full Version : An English guitar and case I made

george wilson
03-30-2009, 11:51 PM
This is a case I made for an English guitar(an 18th.C.type of cittern) which I had one of my journeymen make.At the time I was unable to take on this order. I did make the tuning mechanism on the guitar,though it is not very visible. The case is referred to as a coffin case. It is pine,covered outside with calfskin,studded with brass dome head nails. The hooks on the case were hand made,as was the old style staple lock,which was common in the period.

The interior is lined with hand made French marbled paper. There are 2 storage compartments. Each has little oval ivory knobs. They have the owner's initials engraved upon them.

My label is seen inside the lid.

I did not make the brass handle.

The top of the lid shows an 18th.C. style cypher of the recipient's initials that I designed for her.

In front of the case are 2 wax seals that have the same initials,made of brass with buffalo horn handles,that look like black marble with grey figure on them,and are very elegant.

After you enlarge the images,click a few times on each to make them larger.

The cittern was a popular instrument for young ladies to learn basic musical skills on.

As the English say "The property of a lady".Indeed,a VERY choosy and pampered lady who I have since made many things for over the years. She has an unerring microscopic eye for the slightest error,but I enjoy working for her as she knows quality.

george wilson
03-31-2009, 10:11 AM
The marquetry guitar had a similar case.

Brian Kent
03-31-2009, 10:42 AM
George, I'm just running out of adjectives and using the same ones over and over. So with a little help from the thesaurus:

Charming, delightful, engaging, magnificent, easy on the eye, graceful, exquisite, and elegant!

You need to get Taunton or Colonial Williamsburg Press to publish a full sized full color glossy book of your work and your workings. Since you did much of this in front of people while talking with them, imagine how many people would recognize a piece, a tool, a technique that they got to see live.

I can picture a traditional technique per chapter or even a piece per chapter as the organizing principle to teach an abundance of hand tool techniques to get something beautiful done.