PDA

View Full Version : New LV Saw!

Gary Herrmann
04-01-2009, 7:44 AM
Wow, this one looks really interesting. Read the description.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?p=62708&c=2

;)

Jason Roehl
04-01-2009, 7:56 AM
Hmmm...that saw wasn't released today by any chance, was it?

JD Dolan
04-01-2009, 7:59 AM
Almost fell over laughing as I read this.

Robert Rozaieski
04-01-2009, 8:04 AM
I just ordered 2. You really need two because once you have your angles set on the first one, you don't want to go constantly changing it around for each set of dovetails.

Scott Wigginton
04-01-2009, 8:05 AM
They have tipped their hands! Two new planes being released by June.

... what you were just looking at is an early version of our new Low Angle Jack Plane. Planned for release in early June ...

... We'll get straight back to real work tomorrow — as there's a second plane being released May 15th!

Rob Lee
04-01-2009, 8:13 AM
Almost fell over laughing as I read this.

Hi -

Have to credit this for the inspiration:

http://www.tac.tv/the_willi_waller_vid1001

These clips, originally done in French, have a cult following in Canada, and I expect that most up here will recognise the writing "style" right away...

Truth is -this saw really does work... and the design is absolutely brilliant. Actually - almost too good for an April 1st tool...

Tough act to follow.... and only 364 days left!

Cheers -

Rob

Joe McMahon
04-01-2009, 8:16 AM
I just wonder if Bridge City Toolworks will be coming out with a modified Jointmaker Pro using Rob's brilliant new design? Maybe aJointmaker Pro Gang Kerf Special? And sell it for say $5,000?????:eek::eek::eek:

Bill Stoffels
04-01-2009, 9:17 AM
They should make a GANG SAW with 12 blades then you can cover everything???????????

HAPPY APRIL 1ST

Frank Townend
04-01-2009, 9:23 AM
I bought three of them today and they arrived this morning. Already put them to use building a 3K square foot extension to the shop.

Scott Mann
04-01-2009, 9:52 AM
HAHA, do they do this every April 1st, I seem to remember some contraption they released last April Fools day.....

Rob Lee
04-01-2009, 10:06 AM
HAHA, do they do this every April 1st, I seem to remember some contraption they released last April Fools day.....

Hi Scott -

If you search for "AFD" on our website, you can see all of the previous ones...

Cheers -

Rob

John Keeton
04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
So, does this mean I can triple my customary error with virtually no effort and surgical precision??

jerry nazard
04-01-2009, 10:30 AM
So, does this mean I can triple my customary error with virtually no effort and surgical precision??

John,

Make no mistake without it, you are free to err and stray without even measuring.

-Jerry

Roger Barlow
04-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Rob you made my day, searched AFD on your wwsite, and proceeded to laugh my rear off!!

Barry Rowland
04-01-2009, 11:48 AM
This is just what I've been looking for!

Can't seem to get the shopping cart to work though ????

Dave Anderson NH
04-01-2009, 12:50 PM
The really fun thing about these gag tools from Veritas is the effort that goes into making them so that they actually work. About 3 years ago Rob Lee loaned me the multiple stem wheeled marking gage they did for that years April Fools gag. I had it for a joinery symposium run by our NH guild. The monstrosity worked, but at about 12-14 pounds it would have worn you out quickly if you used it for any length of time. It got lots of great comments from folks as varied as Chris Becksvoort, Alan Breed, Jim Blauveld, and Phil Lowe.

Luke Townsley
04-01-2009, 1:32 PM
In reality, this is a neat move on the part of LV.

Since they are the "innovative traditional" company, it lets their designers think outside the box.

While these ideas are outlandish, they can help free up the mind for more down to earth offerings and even inspire new innovations that might not have been possible otherwise.

Just imagine that this set of tools will be worth 100 years from now!

Dan Carroll
04-01-2009, 1:58 PM
Hi Scott -

If you search for "AFD" on our website, you can see all of the previous ones...

Cheers -

Rob
I have a friend who runs the civil war medical museum. Thihnking about making one up from the various bone saws and leaving it around to see what kind of questions he gets during tours. Having a great time coming up with answers.

Rob Fargher
04-01-2009, 3:36 PM
[QUOTE=Rob Lee;1096988]

Truth is -this saw really does work... and the design is absolutely brilliant. Actually - almost too good for an April 1st tool...

/QUOTE]

Did Red Green design that saw? ;)

--
Cheers,
Rob

Chris Kennedy
04-01-2009, 8:05 PM
I love the Veritas AFD line of tools. This year, I thought they outdid themselves, not with the tool itself but with the reviews.

Finally! A Veritas tool with a handle that Alf likes! That made me want to spend the $200+. I cannot think of a more powerful endorsement.

Cheers,

Chris

jerry nazard
04-01-2009, 9:36 PM
I resisted the temptation to order one. Woodcraft is bound to release a Wood River copy at a lower price sometime soon.
The double saw that cuts one complete tail or pin in one operation is very innovative also.

Jim Koepke
04-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Cuts dovetails much faster.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?p=62708&c=3

jim

Jim Koepke
04-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Posted this before realizing someone else already had beat me to it.

jim

Justin Green
04-02-2009, 9:08 AM
Combine that with a set of ganged chisels and if my math is right, Ron Cosman could effortlessly cut 1 minute dovetails.

Oops, forgot you might need a ganged mallet for the chisels.