PDA

View Full Version : "Tried My Hand" at saw sharpening

Brian Kent
04-02-2009, 2:06 PM
I tried sharpening saws for the first time. I used the arm hair test for plane blades, but I ran out of arm hair and tried knuckle hair.:rolleyes:

I think the marks show that the teeth were set nice and even, plenty sharp. I don't think I'll be testing any more saw blades this way.:(

But on a lighter note, my sawsets arrived from Tools For Working Wood (see picture 2). The crosscut saw still has enough set (see picture one).

How much set do I need on an 8 point rip saw?:confused:

Brian

Jim Koepke
04-02-2009, 2:17 PM
There are a lot of things to consider when setting a saw.
Not being an expert, my knowledge is limited. One thing to consider is it is always easy to add a little more. It is not easy to take some back.

There are a few threads here on SMC by Bob Smalser. Links to them can be found in the Neander Wisdom/FAQs thread.

Also check Vintage Saws. There is a lot of information there, here is one page that may be of help:

http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=main&right=/library/library.html

jim

Brian Kent
04-02-2009, 2:49 PM
Thanks Jim. That's what I needed (the Bob Smalser article). I used a minimum set on the rip saw and the process went quickly. I tried out a cut afterwards and have a clean, straight, and pretty narrow cut with no binding of the saw.

It was an old craftsman saw with a hollow plastic handle - a learnin' tool that I was not afraid of messing up. I made a walnut handle for it and I'm now waiting for a couple of Mike Wenzloff's saw screw / nuts to come it the mail so I can put it together. I am actually quite surprised to have a saw I can use, and not just a throw away saw to learn on.

I decided not to use the finger test on this one.

george wilson
04-02-2009, 3:10 PM
If you ever have a saw that is sharp.but cuts terribly rough,and feels bad while you are sawing,it may be because the saw has too much set in the teeth. I had a saw back in the 70's that cut like that. It was a rip saw. Worst cutting saw I ever had. I laid it down on a flat piece of iron,and with a mallet,hammered the excessive set out of it. It then cut just fine.

Robert Rozaieski
04-02-2009, 3:36 PM
Start with too little set and try the saw. If it binds in the cut, the saw needs more set. Readjust the anvil on the set and reset the teeth in the same direction. You can add more set easily but you can't remove set easily without breaking teeth off (if you try to set them in the other direction) or heavily stoning the sides of the plate, which will make the teeth thinner and more fragile.

Brian Kent
04-02-2009, 4:02 PM
Bob Smalser mentioned light stoning. Does anyone else do that just for extra metal beyond the teeth?

Robert Rozaieski
04-02-2009, 7:29 PM
Bob Smalser mentioned light stoning. Does anyone else do that just for extra metal beyond the teeth?
I always side joint a freshly filed saw to dress the filing burrs. Usually one pass on each side is all it takes. Use a hard oil stone, not a water stone which will groove.