PDA

View Full Version : Interesting finding about water stones

Will Blick
04-03-2009, 1:24 AM
I use mostly shapton water stones. I was preparing a new edge on some kitchen knives... started at 220 grit stones to create a new bevel.. i worked up to 15k... After each stone, I would test the blades sharpness a bit...

After the Shapton 2000 stone, I moved to a 4000 Norton, as I could not find my Shapton 4000.... interestingly enough, the 4000 Norton dulled the blade. I was quite surprised by this, so I did it again, and same thing. Finally found my Shapton 4000, and used it after the Shapton 2000 and the sharpness stepped up a notch.

Moral to the story is.....

1) I now assume, stone makers do NOT use a standardized method to determine grit value. I would classify the Norton 4000 equal to Shapton 1000. just guessin, not scientific. But a significant difference.

2) If you do use stones to progress up in sharpness, it might be a good idea to stay with one maker, as I am sure on a relative basis, a higher grit stone is finer than a lower grit stone from that same maker.

3) Maybe you get what you pay for with water stones... i.e. the better stone makers don't over rate their stones?

Peter Scoma
04-03-2009, 2:33 AM
Interesting find Bill as I have in the past used coarse Norton oil stones to grind and King waterstones to sharpen.

Thanks
PS