PDA

View Full Version : Need help dating an old Stanley

dan sherman
04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
This is probably obvious to a lot of you, but I'm still really new at this.

So I'm looking at purchasing an old Stanley Jack plane, and I'm having problems determining it's type. The attributes that I can make out from the pictures (I can try and post these tonight if needed) are as follows:

"BAILEY" is cast into the toe
it has the raised knob mount
"MADE IN U.S.A." is cast between the knob & the frog.
the plane size is cast into the heel
The lever cap has "STANLEY" inside a notched rectangle with a yellow background

The thing that's throwing me is that the sole is blue.

I was thinking this was a type 14, but doesn't the blue sole mean its a type 20?

-Dan

Jim Koepke
04-03-2009, 1:42 PM
Dan,
There are a few links to sites which help one to determine type listed in the Neander Wisdom/FAQs post.

For the plane in question, it is of a recent type that many find undesirable.

Painted blue dates it to about 1967 and a type 20.

My tendency is to not buy planes later than the early SW years. Most of my planes are type 9 or earlier. That is just my preference.

Some feel that type 11 is the best. I would agree that they among the best Stanley made.

After awhile, you will spot many of the distinguishing features from across a crowded room.

I usually ignore those with rings around the knob base. My preference is for the short knobs. They do not fit on the ones with the rings.

jim

dan sherman
04-03-2009, 2:26 PM
Dan,
There are a few links to sites which help one to determine type listed in the Neander Wisdom/FAQs post.

I did find those, and was using this site (http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/), I was just having issues interpreting it.

Since it wasn't crazy at the office today i was actually able to go home for lunch and grab the photos. The attached images are of the plane in question.

dan sherman
04-03-2009, 2:27 PM
the last 2 images.

Jim Koepke
04-03-2009, 2:39 PM
I did find those, and was using this site (http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/), I was just having issues interpreting it.

Since it wasn't crazy at the office today i was actually able to go home for lunch and grab the photos. The attached images are of the plane in question.

I often like the one that is at the bottom of the list at primestop. It is a large chart and takes a little getting used to the format, but it is a great fast reference.

For me the hyperkitten site is difficult for getting a date for a lot of the planes that are early or late in a particular type. The early planes in a type group may have some parts from the previous type and the later planes in the group may have some aspects of the next type group.

jim

dan sherman
04-03-2009, 6:16 PM
I have a general question, what is bad about a type 20?

As I've been learning about planes, I get the feeling that type 15-20 are inferior to earlier models. The issue is I haven't seen anyone specifically say whats bad about them.

Jim Koepke
04-04-2009, 12:15 AM
I have a general question, what is bad about a type 20?

As I've been learning about planes, I get the feeling that type 15-20 are inferior to earlier models. The issue is I haven't seen anyone specifically say whats bad about them.

There are a few things many do not like about the later Stanley planes.

After WW I, power tools were on the way in, the remaining hand tool companies were either consolidating or fighting each other for the market. There was also what is often called "The Race To The Bottom" where all the tool makers were trying to cut the cost of production in order to keep prices low at the retail level. Quality suffers when price becomes the major consideration. The main purchase of hand tools were no longer the craftsman, but new home owners needing something to adjust a sticking door. Tools were often being bought to use just once. There were still a lot being bought by hobbyist and such, but the world was changing.

In 1933, type 16, the current frog design began. There is not as much surface area for the blade to contact. It is also a little lighter than the previous style.

Some folks like the tall knob. My preference is for the short knob which was last used in about 1919.

Around WW II sometime, there was a switch away from rose wood handles to stained hardwood.

Many of the later planes can be made to do satisfactory work. They just do not have the same "feel" as the earlier planes. Without using both together, one might not notice.

Maybe it is the spirit of craftsmen long departed still lingering in the older tools.

jim

dan sherman
04-04-2009, 8:17 PM
Jim,

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Kowing a litle bit about mechanics, I could see how the reduced surface area could lead to chatter.

In 1933, type 16, the current frog design began. There is not as much surface area for the blade to contact. It is also a little lighter than the previous style.

Brian Kent
04-04-2009, 9:43 PM
You're in luck! Old Stanley will go out with just about anybody!:rolleyes:

dan sherman
04-04-2009, 10:16 PM
After I started this thread, It dawned om me that I should have picked a better title.