PDA

View Full Version : Makers Stamp

Carlos Cabrera
04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I just got the Makers stamp that you see below from Mazzaglia Tools. As you can see it does a great job on end grain. I understand that you use these things to mark the tools you make and that is fine but in my ignorance I thought I could use it for my other projects but i dont think it is well suited since you have to strike the stamp with a 3 pound hammer. I have been told that they can be heated up and used in that fashion also so I am interested in trying that but how do you hold it ? I just wanted to know how you guys use them ? Just for tools or do you use them for your projects as well ? I have already ordered an electric branding iron so i am aware of that option.

Carlos

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk426/boxjoint/Stuff/102_4173_1.jpg

george wilson
04-03-2009, 3:51 PM
I don't know what you paid for that stamp,but if you look at my posts,you will see my G.WILSON stamp with serifs. Look up my post on chisel handles. I got a 1/8" tall stamp for $75.00 From Buckeye Engraving in Ohio.Google it. The stamp on my chisel handle is larger,but the same quality. Your stamp is not suitable for stamping anything but endgrain.A raised letter stamp is what you need. Your stamp has the letters out of line with each other,and has no serifs.The period is too low down. The border would be much nicer if they had used a checkering file on it,as many antique stamps have,to give a "postage stamp" sort of border,for lack of a better description.

If you look up styles of type,you can choose exactly the style you want Buckeye to do,and they will do it. For example,Caslon,Bookman,Roman,etc. You can also specify the angle you want the letters cut at: they can do a steeper,sharper angle for stamping wood,or a less acute,but still sharp stamp,for also stamping metal. I recommend the metal stamp for all around use. It looks just fine.

Prices might be a little higher by now. My last purchase was 2007.They charge by the number of letters you want. A period counts as a letter. You will actually get to speak with the man who makes the stamp,not some sales person.

Years ago I got the well known Hanson company to do my stamps. When we wanted new stamps,I called,and got this ignorant,but stubborn sales person.She would not let me speak to the actual stamp makers in the shop. I gave up on her,and Hanson,when she asked me "What's a serif?" If this is what they call their communications person,they can keep their stamps.