PDA

View Full Version : Embroidery stand I made

george wilson
04-03-2009, 5:15 PM
This embroidery stand is an exact copy of an original made in the early 19th.C. I made it for my very particular lady customer. She bought an antique stand,but did not want to use it for fear of damaging it.

The stand is made of violet wood,like the original. The little discs that look like pulleys are threaded tightening wheels of lignum vitae.The screws were threaded using the same technique as I used for the big cider mill: a router applied at a 45 degree angle in a metal cutting lathe. The threaded pieces are only 3/8" in Diameter,so the routing had to be done in careful increments to avoid any chipping of the threads.

I made a threading tap of a type especially for wood,which I will post when I do a posting on some threading tackle I have made. The lignum vitae wheels were threaded with the tap. The wood threads are 90 degree threads,as the original,and much coarser than threads of the same diameter would be in metal.

There are threaded ivory bolts with tightening discs of ivory for controlling the tilt of the frame.Threading ivory is something you have to learn to do very carefully. It is very easy to shatter.

There are little ivory balls at the ends of the horizontal frame members,ivory discs at the bottom of the columns,and ivory feet.

All my ivory is registered pre ban material,or in other words,documented pre 1972.

To use the stand,the cloth is tied on both sides to the round horizontal bars,and stretched tight,so it holds still while doing the needle work. I think the stand's base is 4" X 14".

I also made many 18th.C. straight pins with wire wrapped heads,and needles for this lady.

I found the violet wood great to work with for this particular type of work.It is extremely hard,but not as brittle as ebony. It threaded well,because it is also very stiff. For its diameter,it was more rigid than most other woods would have been.

There is no finish on this item. The finished wooden pieces were buffed on a clean buffing wheel,with white rouge. The original was also polished but unvarnished.

David Keller NC
04-03-2009, 6:03 PM
OK, George, I'll give. What the heck is "violet wood". It definitely looks like cocobolo or one of the rosewoods. Is it "bois de rose" (Madagascar rosewood)? There's a picture of it about 3 entries down on the Gilmer Wood "other exotics and rosewood" page:

http://www.gilmerwood.com/boards_rosewood-exotic_unique.htm

george wilson
04-03-2009, 6:56 PM
Also known as Kingwood.It is a type of rosewood.

Ron Brese
04-03-2009, 10:53 PM
George,

Are you from this planet? Every time you post something like this I'm just gobsmacked! You certainly must be one of those superior alien beings from another world.(grin)

This piece with such varied materials and small, intricate, yet functional parts just astounds me. I am in awe of your talent and knowledge, and quite frankly I'm not easily impressed.

Please keep posting, there's no telling what's next. Maybe pictures of the mother ship? (grin)

Ron Brese

Clay Thigpen
04-04-2009, 4:10 AM
George I don't think anything I say can convey my thoughts I'm not that eloquent except on those rare occasions when I am at the top of my game. Your knowledge base and use of materials is beyond belief. Even though it is a reproduction of what was certainly master piece in it's own time you were able to execute it with the same precision and craftsmen ship and that says a lot in it's self but all the other items that you have shown us pay homage to what can only be the genius of a master craftsman that can inspire many.

george wilson
04-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Thank you Clay. We think the original was made in India.I wonder how many rejects they had in cutting those perfect threads with thread boxes? I got by easily compared to them.This probably was a high class export item they made to be sold to the English.

Mike Cutler
04-04-2009, 11:33 AM
She bought an antique stand,but did not want to use it for fear of damaging it.

I'm not sure I'd want to risk damaging the "repro". That's amazing work George!

You have a true gift George. Everything I have seen you post will no doubt one day be in a museum, or a private collection. That guitar was unbelievable in detail and artistry.
I've seen other posters refer to having you consider a book, and I highly encourage you to do so. If nothing else try to find someone, or a service, that can help you to save and convert your film images to high resolution digital images for posterity.
I enjoy seeing your work very much,and had no idea that this type of work was being done at Colonial Williamsburg. I guess I really missed the boat when I visited in years past. :(

george wilson
04-04-2009, 6:39 PM
Thank you,Mike. The repro probably cost more than the antique,but the idea is always to preserve the antique. Besides,I think one of the threaded arms of the antique had a long crack in it.

David Gendron
04-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi George, I don't know what to say other than one day I'd like to do as good as you do or did! you are a real inspiration on perfection! I juste started woodworking realy about a year ago and do every thing with handtools and I'm still lacking the precision on a lot of my cuts... Practice, practice, practice!!! I hope it will bring me some where!
David

george wilson
04-06-2009, 2:43 PM
Thank you,David. Do not ever think that the road to eventual success is not littered with many,many messed up attempts,lots of wasted time,and frustration. You must learn as you go,and get whatever scraps of information you can from those who you can. The #1 thing I always teach my students is how to keep their tools razor sharp.