PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, with a plea: Please, George.

Charles Bodner
04-04-2009, 4:41 PM
I have been reading this site for several months, now. I finally signed up. My ramble:

First, a thank you to all who have posted: I have learned an awful lot.
Second, while I, on my own, took my first hesitant steps towards tool ownership with some eBuy items and flea market treasures, my now headlong plummet down the slope is entirely the Creek's fault. You collectively. Own up to it. Apologies accepted.
Third, I may now have to lay those tools back down. While I sit here and type and gaze with extreme pride at the bench and Shaker end table my hands wrested from wood scrap, I need only view George Wilson’s mastery of craft to see that what I did was to create something just this side of firewood.
So…I now come to the point: the reason that I registered was so that I could add my voice to those pleading with George to put together a book, preferably with some how-to included. Please, George.

Brian Kent
04-04-2009, 5:12 PM
Charles,

Welcome, friend of Creek. I too want to see George's future book. I also don't think that we need to compare our own work with George Wilson's. It is a little intimidating, I admit.

So please post pictures of your bench and shaker end table, and you will get kudos and ideas and information and even nice friends!

Brian Kent

george wilson
04-04-2009, 5:15 PM
Charles,I really appreciate your attitude,and your request. I'll have to see what the future holds. Books are expensive to publish,especially fully illustrated ones.

Meanwhile,if you can recognize a good design,you are already well on the way yourself.Coming up with a good design is really half of the accomplishment.

When I was a kid,I used to trace pictures of sailing ships,as well as draw a lot. Tracing probably trained me to look very closely at objects. Tracing fine sailing ships probably helped train my eye to realize what constituted good design.

You are training your own eye if you recognize well designed objects,and even copy them if you wish. It helps you establish that library of intrinsic knowledge that helps you develop as a designer and craftsman.

Today it is very easy to get off on the wrong track,because it seems like we are in an "anything goes" era. There is so much trash out there to confuse and misdirect the developing craftsman's mind. I think you need to look at the collections in great museums.Look in the catalogs of fine auction gallerys like Christies. Read old books about carving wood,etc.That basic design training will enable you to not just make antique styled objects,it is pertinent also to the most modern work as well,once you have acquired your background of knowledge. My wife's Art Deco table and jewelry box came into my head while my daily task was to deal with making 18th.C. objects. Somehow,it all works together.

I can't keep my thoughts together from other distractions right now,but I hope you get my meaning.I think you have the eye already,Charles. Keep feeding it.

Phillip Pattee
04-04-2009, 5:27 PM
Charles,
Welcome to Sawmill Creek. I apologize, I helped get you started on this, but you do need to realize that my work looks like firewood next to George's work as well (probably next to yours too :(). We just have to accept that George is one of the rare truly gifted craftsman. Not one in 10,000 will ever attain his level of skill, beauty, and design. We can dream, but our goal is really just to keep improving our skills.

george wilson
04-04-2009, 6:36 PM
Charles,I just had an idea: Call Colonial Williamsburg at 757-229-1000 and ask for the Visitor Center Gift Shop. They have my movie "The Musical Instrument Maker" for sale there,for,I think $19.95. It shows us making a spinet harpsichord,and a violin. The movie will naturally be instructive on some of our tool processes. Maybe you could go to the Col.Wmsbg. website,and get it online. See if they will give me any kickback for getting you to buy the film (HA!!!).

Steve Pirrelli
04-04-2009, 7:19 PM
That's one book I'd be sure to buy. :)

Ryan Baker
04-04-2009, 7:39 PM
That's a book I'd love to buy as well.

P.S. I checked, and the online store does sell George's video, and it's even on sale right now. But it's out of stock. It doesn't say whether it is DVD or VHS, and I fear it is VHS (which makes it useless).

John Shuk
04-04-2009, 9:07 PM
Charles,I just had an idea: Call Colonial Williamsburg at 757-229-1000 and ask for the Visitor Center Gift Shop. They have my movie "The Musical Instrument Maker" for sale there,for,I think $19.95. It shows us making a spinet harpsichord,and a violin. The movie will naturally be instructive on some of our tool processes. Maybe you could go to the Col.Wmsbg. website,and get it online. See if they will give me any kickback for getting you to buy the film (HA!!!).

OK George how about some pics of the harpsichord. I'm fascinated.

george wilson
04-04-2009, 9:41 PM
John,I have no pictures of the spinet.I used to have some pictures of the large harpsichord I made for the Music Teacher's shop in 1970-71,but I don't know where they are right now. The only harpsichord pictures I have at the moment are of an Italian style one I was building in 1968,but they are polaroids,and only show the interior structures,as I hadn't yet put the sides on. Maybe my wife knows where my pictures of the big harpsichord are. I used to be real bad about not taking pictures.

Charles Bodner
04-04-2009, 9:44 PM
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. I still have my stratocaster, even though it's just for my own entertainment, so I expect I will still play with wood and tools. And the video on the Wiliamsburg site says its a videocassette. I'm more likely to get my Stanley 55 working than to get my VCR working again!

george wilson
04-04-2009, 9:54 PM
HOLD ON.My wife,who somehow always knows where everything is,just got a picture.I'll scan it and post it. It's too big for the scanner,but I'll do my best.

Mat Ashton
04-05-2009, 3:42 AM
I have been reading this site for several months, now. I finally signed up. My ramble:

First, a thank you to all who have posted: I have learned an awful lot.
Second, while I, on my own, took my first hesitant steps towards tool ownership with some eBuy items and flea market treasures, my now headlong plummet down the slope is entirely the Creek's fault. You collectively. Own up to it. Apologies accepted.
Third, I may now have to lay those tools back down. While I sit here and type and gaze with extreme pride at the bench and Shaker end table my hands wrested from wood scrap, I need only view George Wilson’s mastery of craft to see that what I did was to create something just this side of firewood.
So…I now come to the point: the reason that I registered was so that I could add my voice to those pleading with George to put together a book, preferably with some how-to included. Please, George.

I thought I'd post a picture of what you can expect if you keep with it. The pine stool you see was one of the first pieces I made back in 79. I'm now very thankful my mom kept it all those years cause I would have thrown it out long ago. At that time I actually didn't like woodwork but when the teachers thought it was a good idea to simple leave me alone to do what I wanted I soon found my stride and developed real passion for the work that still exists today. The chair is one of the last things I did about 5 years ago before I moved to Australia. It's taken few years to get back into it but the passion is still there even if all I do is look at the tools for now. What you need to realize about this is there's no reason you can't do the same and more - you simple need to be patient and keep with it (and don't what ever you do throw out that first project). George has posted some of the best work I've seen. Just like you he had a beginning which most likely wasn't much better. The beauty of today is there are so many resources to fast track people to being very competent woodworkers.

PS It's funny how many here have all had the same independent thought - George needs to write his memoirs.

Carl Maeda-San Diego
04-05-2009, 4:31 AM
Hi George, if you want your own website to post stuff, I'll put one together for you for free. I really enjoy your posts and wouldn't mind building a site for you where everyone can see all your projects in one easy to use place. PM me if you're interested.

dan grant
04-05-2009, 9:50 AM
HOLD ON.My wife,who somehow always knows where everything is,just got a picture.I'll scan it and post it. It's too big for the scanner,but I'll do my best.
i was wondering how one man could accomplish so much, now i know;)

george wilson
04-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Mat: A very excellent example of progress!! Yes,we all start from nothing and work our way up. I made a giant leap in the quality of my work by just coming to Williamsburg.Because I had been living in cultural vacuums most of my life,I had not seen what was out there. I grew up on 3 different light houses,then lived in Alaska for 6 years.Building a small house and road near a small fishing town was no place to learn much about anything but hauling cable,setting dynamite,and running a stump puller. I did live a lot through reading books and tracing pictures,drawing,and working in the school shop when I was old enough to get into it.

Later on,when I got to college,I got my great boost from being with a great sculptor and artist,Will Reimann.Then,6 years in the hills of North Carolina,teaching shop.I kept making guitars in this vacuum.In 1967 I discovered Penland Craft School,and was re awakened.Taught there for 2 Summers.I met all kinds of artists. They did not do the kind of work I did,but they nourished my creativity a lot.

I was exposed to fine craftsmen,and fine collections of furniture,instruments,guns,and all manner of artistic objects at 29 in Williamsburg. I soaked it up like a sponge.Having to make period tools,instruments,and all kinds of equipment to open an instrument shop,I was working like a demon for quite some time.

Somehow,I had developed the eye along the way,to sort out the best from what I was exposed to,and kept learning and doing.

george wilson
04-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Guys,please look below at "Video of George's Harpsichord". Glenn Claybo was very kind to put up where you can get the video.It is on sale for $13.99. Col.Wmsbg. is feeling the pinch also! That video was $75.00 when it first came out in 1975. Take advantage of the sale!!!