PDA

View Full Version : My new plane #3 / Gloat?

dan sherman
04-05-2009, 12:36 AM
I won her today for $21.50, so I'm not sure if she qualifies as a gloat. I'm stoked though, because she is my first plane. The seller only listed one patent date, "APR-19-10" so I'm pretty sure she's a type 13. The tote is in bad shape, but I can fix that pretty easily.

Brian Kent
04-05-2009, 12:55 AM
And now the fun of restoration begins. Congratulations.

Jim Koepke
04-05-2009, 1:57 AM
I am not sure, but I think more of my planes may have repaired totes than have them that have not been broken. Then again, there are some that I think they are repaired, but just can not tell.

Looks like a fun plane to restore. For many things, my #3 is the plane of choice.

Show & tell when you get it spruced up.

jim

John Keeton
04-05-2009, 7:00 AM
I fondly remember my first plane purchase - all of a year ago! I have been slipping, sliding, running down this slope every since.

Dan, I just hope you realize the ramifications of this. There is help out there...therapy, various programs, etc. But, you are in great company here with the rest of the addicts - sort of a halfway house on the way down instead of up:D

Ron Petley
04-05-2009, 9:15 AM
Great start, my #3 was a bit more dirty and had ben used to paint with a little more than yours. When I cleaned it up the dirt stayed on my fingers for at least a week, my daughter said 100 year old dirt does not go away quickly.
Good luck I think the wood of the tote/knob will look just great with a sand and some new finish on it, might as well do the front if you are doing the tote so they will match. A # 3 is a super size to use.
I soaked mine in citric acid, and scrubed it with a tooth brush, worked well, but wear gloves or your fingers will be black for a while after.
Cheers Ron.

dan sherman
04-05-2009, 7:00 PM
I'm trying to avoid the slippery slope, I have just come to the realization that I needs some hand tools to augment the power tools. I'm planing on only having a few planes. I'm thinking a 65, 3, 5, & 7 or 8 should be all I. need

When i get her home, I'm planing on giving her a nice long soak in Evapo-rust.

Is it sacrilegious to repaint the top of the sole if most of the japanning has warn off?

scott spencer
04-05-2009, 7:19 PM
Congrats Dan, and good luck with the rehab. It should clean up nicely. I've got a type 13 Bailey 5-1/4 that I'm really fond of. You're a better man than I if you can avoid that slipper slope!

Enjoy!

David Keller NC
04-06-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm trying to avoid the slippery slope, I have just come to the realization that I needs some hand tools to augment the power tools. I'm planing on only having a few planes. I'm thinking a 65, 3, 5, & 7 or 8 should be all I. need

Ha! That's amusing - there ain't no such thing as "all I need" when it comes to hand tools...:D

Is it sacrilegious to repaint the top of the sole if most of the japanning has warn off?

Nope. A Sweetheart plane in the condition your's is in has little collector's value, so there's not much worry about ruining it. If you want a more authentic look, Derek Cohen's website has some experiences with a paint-on japanning product that's very close to the original japaning used by Stanley.

Prashun Patel
04-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Be careful how you remove the rust.

You might be tempted (like I was) to use an acid like citric, but it can cause pitting, which can harm it in the long term.

The best way is to try oil and a mild abrasive like steel wool or a nonwoven pad. Use chemicals after this fails. Have fun with the restoration!

Mike Henderson
04-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Just some advice on the 65. They're expensive planes to buy (the knuckle joint ones) and many of them have cracks around the mouth (which the eBay seller usually neglects to tell you). They're also a bit large for most people's hand.

I would recommend you purchase a low angle LN or LV plane instead. It's a bit more money (about twice as much) but you'll get a plane that's not quite as fragile and which has a modern thick blade.

Good luck!

Mike