PDA

View Full Version : Some very small metal stamps

george wilson
04-05-2009, 8:56 PM
These are very small stamps for metal I made for my wife's jewelry business. They look a bit rough highly magnified. The ruler graduations shown are 1/64"'s. She kept her maiden name,Estrin.

The Estrin stamp is the smallest I've tried to make,on a good day. My wife saw a 1930's jeweler's mark with the barrel shaped letters,and asked me to make one. The tall,narrow art deco S is on purpose.

The little classical ancient Greek style fish is also hand cut. They both look much better when seen in real size.The fish is about 5/32" or so tall. The fish looked better before it was struck into tool steel several dozen times.It still reads quite well in actual size.

I have made quite a few stamps,which I could post if you are interested.Try to visualize how small these stamps are. They look so rough I hesitate to post them,but magnified is the only way you can see them.

James G. Jones
04-05-2009, 11:21 PM
George,

Can you tell us a little about how you make something so small and intricate in steel? I have enough problems with wood! I would like to make a stamp for some tools that I have made but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks,

James

David Gendron
04-06-2009, 1:00 AM
Realy nice, are they complicated to make? I would like to get one to mark my projects and it would be great if I could make it my self. could you give us some pointers?
David

Danny Burns
04-06-2009, 9:38 AM
Very nice!

Can you tell me what type of steel you are using to make the stamps?
Thanks.

george wilson
04-06-2009, 11:15 AM
I use either 01 or W1 steel. These stamps are in 1/4",3/16,or 1/8" square bars. If you use W1,you can only harden the last 1/2" or 3/4" of the end of the stamp,as the stamp often splits open if you harden the whole length. You can get cold drawn 3' lengths from MSC Co. cheaper than 01 because it is not precision ground. After heating to orange and quenching in water,or oil(for the 01),you polish off one side of the stamp down to the bare metal,and heat until it turns a dark brown color.

I really can't give a brief description on how to do some of these stamps. I file down the outer contours with GOOD quality needle files(ones that have acute edges and corners,not the cheap imports,at least use Grobets.) Then I have made many die sinker's chisels. These are engraving tools that are driven by a small hammer,not pushed. The half moon shaped cuts on the fish were made with tiny chisels shaped like gouges,so were his gills,and mouth,and eye.

I don't know how to describe the Estrin stamp,except to say that after you have done this work long enough,you can get to where you can sense where the chisel is cutting,even if you cannot see it,because the chisel is in the way of your sight. I wear 4X close up glasses while doing this. You cannot read the punch mark it makes without magnification.

george wilson
04-06-2009, 2:39 PM
If the moderator doesn't mind me getting into metal working,I could post more pics of punches,and tools for making them. If they are to be used for stamping wood,I'd think it would not be outside the rules. Planes made of metal for wood planing are often shown.

Bob Strawn
04-07-2009, 4:49 PM
I love the stamps!

I have been meaning to make a few for quite some time, now I am going to have to do it.

I for one, would love to have more information on how you make your stamps.

Bob

george wilson
04-07-2009, 5:08 PM
Every time I want to take pictures,the weather is very dark.I'll try to get some decent light for photos asap. Glad you are enjoying the stamps.

Bob Strawn
04-09-2009, 9:15 AM
I am not sure of the ideal shape of tool for micro shaping of steel.
I have started playing with some O1 drill rod, and determined that I need to make some more appropriate tools for chiseling the steel. I am shaping the ends to the profiles of some of my cold chisels, but so far it is trial and error for me.

Bob

Jim Koepke
04-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I have also been interested in die sinking or punch making.

My first interest in this field came as a coin collector.

Now it would be to make tools to mark my work.

jim

george wilson
04-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Jim,I was busy today,but I'll try to post pics of tools to make stamps with. Of course,it's going to be dark and rainy tomorrow,though.