PDA

View Full Version : My first Plane Hammer

Cliff Polubinsky
04-07-2009, 7:37 PM
Well, the first I made. First, I'd like to thank Mike Henderson. His tutorial on making a plane hammer started me on this. Mine's a bit different since I don't have a lathe.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/cpolubin/Plane_Hammer_1177.jpg

And since the first few tries didn't work out, I could have bought a couple LV plane hammers for what I have in materials. But this one's mine.

The handle is white oak and the wooden face is crab apple harvested from a tree I cut down in my front yard. And I must say that I'm much happier with it on this hammer than I was with it in my yard :D.

Cliff

Mike Henderson
04-07-2009, 8:00 PM
Looks great, Cliff. What tools did you use to work the brass? And how did you attach the wooden face to the brass?

You certainly did a good job shaping it.

Mike

Bruce Page
04-07-2009, 8:02 PM
Very nice Cliff. How did you contour the head, do you have a mill?
I'd like to see a detail pic if the brass face. It looks like it has facets but I can't tell fer sure.

Cliff Polubinsky
04-07-2009, 8:47 PM
Mike,

I used my router table with a bowl and tray bit for the center part and a large roundover bit for the face. To attach the wooden face I did as you suggested and drilled a 1/4" hole in the brass head and the crabapple plug and used epoxy and a dowel to join them together.

Bruce,

The roundover bit was used to gently curve the face then finished it up with a file and a sanding disk on my drill press.

Cliff

RickT Harding
04-07-2009, 8:56 PM
Just awesome. Love the extra contours of the brass. Definitely better than any hammer I've ever bought.

Cliff Polubinsky
04-07-2009, 9:03 PM
Bruce,

As you requested.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/cpolubin/Plane_Hammer_Face_1179.jpg

Shaped with a 1" roundover bit on a router table, hand file, and sanding disk on a drill press.

Cliff

Bruce Page
04-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks Cliff, it looks great.

Steve Clardy
04-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Very nice work!