PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen low angle block planes

Prashun Patel
04-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Thinking about taking the plunge and getting one of these.

Q's:

1) Is an adjustable mouth that important? The fixed mouth one is a pretty penny cheaper. I have a cheap Footprint block plane that I like; it has an adjustable mouth but I've never had occasion to fuss with it, and it cuts just fine.

2) Is there a compelling reason to get the bronze over the iron? Not a big savings by going iron, but a savings nonetheless.

Michael Sobik
04-08-2009, 10:45 AM
I have the iron adjustable mouth and would recommend the adjustable mouth. It's handy because the block plane is such a versatile tool. You can close it up for trimming end grain and taking fine cuts, and then open the mouth for coarser work. As far as bronze over iron, I don't own any bronze planes but the cast iron seems to be holding up well. Although, I do have to keep on top of the maintenance since I seem to rust everything I touch.

Terry Beadle
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
IMO:
1. The adjustible mouth is a very important feature. The LN small block plane is really worth it's weight in gold because it's so flexible and finely made. Specifically if you are working on wood with a gnarly grain twist or a change of grain, the tight mouth will allow you to work the cut with out a having to change direction so much. It will also open up to get rid of material quite quickly, say in 20 thou shavings. If you limit your self to a single mouth setting, the flexibility to match the wood/grain situation goes down seriously. In short, when you are using a block plane you are normally in a situation where adjustments are the norm. Therefore, an adjustible mouth is very important.

2. Bronze is beautiful. Steel is tough. Both work great. If you are just looking at value, then steel is your prize. If you like the feel and look of Bronze then it's worth it to have and gives you that classy experience.

John Schreiber
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
One more vote for an adjustable mouth. My L N 60 1/2 is probably my favorite tool.

If I were buying now, I'd look very close at the new Lee Valley block plane.

David Keller NC
04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Hmmm - There seems to be some confusion here. The adjustable mouth is only available in the larger block plane based on the Stanley 60-series. That plane is not available in bronze.

The ones that are available in bronze are the 102 and 103, and these are not available with an adjustable mouth.

The 60-series is a substantially bigger, heavier tool than the 102 & 103.

If you're doing general furniture work, you should strongly consider the 60-series. If you're mostly a box-builder, or other small items like spice boxes, models, etc..., you should consider the 102.

From the standpoint of an adjustable mouth on a low-angle block plane, one shoudl consider what you wish to use if for. If you're buying both the low angle and the standard angle plane, there's little need for an adjustable mouth on the low-angle, because you'll use it exclusively for end-grain trimming, and that doesn't require, nor benefit, from a tight mouth.

However, if you intend on the low-angle as your only block plane, then yes, an adjustable mouth is quite useful, and if you work highly figured wood, it will likely be essential.

Regarding bronze vs. iron - in a plane as small as the 102, the different materials and thicknesses of castings make very little difference in weight, so the preference is largely about corrosion. If you're good about wiping your tools down after every use with an oil-dampened rag, then bronze is just a pretty luxury. If you're not so good about that, and prefer your tools to remain pristine, then bronze may be a better bet.

Pedro Reyes
04-08-2009, 11:19 AM
I believe it depends how you're going to use it.

I typically use my low angle (60-1/2) for endgrain, almost exclusively, and really the mouth is not that important, at least not in my experience, not sure why people say "close tight" when doing endgrain when in reality sharpness and cutting angle are the important parameters. When you are cutting endgrain the fibers are not supported by the mouth anyway.

When I do chamfering, small spot smoothing, or general long grain planing, I use my standard angle (9-1/2) and here an adjustable mouth is very nice to have, big difference.

But that's just me, sometimes I may grab the 60-1/2 just because it's already there, and the adjustable mouth is nice, but not needed (IMO) for endgrain which is one of it's main uses.

I'd go with iron only because bronze can stain wood if left unused for a while.

/p

Greg Crawford
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I have 2 bronze LN planes, the large chisel plane and the skew block plane. I like the bronze because rust is a problem in this humid climate. The skew angle is great for all kinds of work, and has the removable side for rabbeting, plus it comes with a fence. May be something to consider. It comes in iron also.

Mark Roderick
04-08-2009, 2:20 PM
The adjustable mouth is key.

I've been working (for way too long) on a box made of curly maple. Very difficult to plane. In raising the panel for the top, I use my LN low-angle block plane exclusively, sharpend to a high angle and with the mouth almost completely closed. It planed this highly figured wood better than any of my other planes, flawlessly! It really was remarkable.

David Gendron
04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Have you consider the LV LA block plane? I have one and it's definetly a realy good choice that gives you a lot of option, like adjustable mouth, you can also add a front nob and a rear tote to convert it into a small smoother and also they sale a adapter that replace the mouth adjusting plate with a chamfer guide(The Shwarz just love that thing, and I do to!!) And with the us dollar being strong over the Cdn, it would be probably a good choice for the money!
Just my 2 cents...
David

george wilson
04-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I had one down at work,and it was fine. Here at home I have LN's,or mine. The LV worked fine for me.

Derek Cohen
04-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Here's a comparison of the three Veritas block planes and the LN.

All are comparible in performance, but differ in ergonomics and aethetics.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasPremiumBlockPlane.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasPremiumBlockPlane_html_67db55fa.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
04-09-2009, 1:47 AM
Shawn,

You mention having a Footprint with an adjustable mouth. You did not mention if it is a low angle or not. I have a lot of block planes, but mostly use my low angle Stanley block planes. Being a frugal kind of guy who also likes fettling, some of these can be real bargains. There are pitfalls to be aware of, but mostly using common sense, knowing what should be looked for, what questions should be asked and knowing that there is always another deal coming along if something does not feel right about the deal at hand.

My experience is that the adjustable mouth is like an added fine adjustment for the blade.

I would suggest setting your footprint up to take a fine cut and try it with the mouth open to different settings and see if you notice any difference. Do this with a sharp blade. Also try it on end grain and against the grain. Change the mouth opening and see if you can find the differences when and where changing the opening changes the result.

If time can be found, I will sharpen up the blade on some of my standard angle block planes and give them a whirl around some wood tomorrow. I'll even try to remember to take pictures.

Having had such good results with my LA blocks though has my others just sitting and waiting except on a few occasions.

jim

Paul Saffold
04-09-2009, 4:53 AM
I have only one block plane, the LN rabbet, which does not have an adjustable mouth. There are many times when doing non-end grain, that I would like to take larger cuts but cannot. It works great for fine cuts. I guess I have an excuse to shop for another ;).

Paul

Prashun Patel
04-09-2009, 7:37 AM
Jim - my FP is a low angle. I'll try what you say. THANKS.

Thanks all for the input. Jeez, there's NO way I'll get the Vertias LABP. One reason: I won't be able to put it down. My mouth watered and heart skipped a beat when I had a look the first time.

A great testament to these tools is that they're impossible to find used ;)