PDA

View Full Version : Ulmia cap iron screw?

Andres Sender
04-08-2009, 5:51 PM
I just picked up a nice 10 year old Ulmia jointing plane, but it's missing the cap iron screw. Woodcraft sold the plane, but they tell me they have no parts. I have queries out to a US seller of Ulmia planes (Peck), and to Ulmia proper in Germany.

While I wait to hear back from them I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a place in the US that may carry spares for these planes? Thanks!

Brian Kent
04-08-2009, 7:29 PM
I was trying to look around to help you out, but I could only find Ulmia Jointers with wooden wedges. Sorry.

Brian

Andres Sender
04-08-2009, 8:01 PM
Yes, it has a wooden wedge, and the cap iron is held to the blade by a screw just like on a Stanley plane. Thanks for the effort! ;)

george wilson
04-08-2009, 8:30 PM
I could make you a screw,but I need a picture,and I also need to know precisely the thread size,which is no doubt metric. I need to know what the length of the thread is for certain.

Brian Kent
04-08-2009, 8:30 PM
Got it. I was picturing the kind used in the Ulmia Reform planes with metal adjusters.

Steve Elliott
04-08-2009, 9:22 PM
Several years ago I bought an extra 48mm Ulmia blade and cap iron because I wanted the blade. The cap iron and its screw have sat around unused. The cap iron is the style used in wedged planes, not the style with an opening in the middle for the metal post that engages with the lever cap. I'd be glad to send you either the screw alone or the screw and cap iron for free.

If you're interested you can reach me by email at sgelliott@cablespeed.com.

Andres Sender
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
George--thank you for your very kind offer. I'd be tempted to take you up on it just because owning something made by someone of your remarkable abilities as a craftsman would mean a lot to me. But with the availability of the replacement from Steve I suppose I must do the sensible thing here. ;)

Steve--thank you, this is ideal and I will email you directly.

george wilson
04-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Thank you,Andres,It would be better if you had the actual part. I'd have done it as a favor.

Frank Drew
04-10-2009, 5:41 PM
Ulmia has gone through some business changes (reversals, really) over the last decade or so; first, they discontinued their machinery line -- I had one of their sliding table saws and it was a champ -- then, if I'm not mistaken, they went out of business altogether but were subsequently reorganized under new ownership and I think currently make some hand tools under that label. It's anybody's guess if the parts inventory of older stuff conveyed to the new owners.