PDA

View Full Version : C.R Muterspaw Lumber Co/other Cincinnati area wood dealers?

Tony Sade
04-08-2009, 8:37 PM
I thought I'd pick up some lumber on my way out to Cincinnati for the LN show at PW Magazine and I came across the C. R. Muterspaw Lumber Co. of Xenia, OH. Anybody deal with them before? Any other suggestions roughly on the way from Charleston WV to Cincinnati via 35? I could go another route if it's not too far out of the way. I'm looking for cherry, walnut, maybe some white oak. I tried to contact Donnie Raines who I remember used to post lumber for sale on this board, but it looks like he's been inactive for a while and he hasn't responded to a PM. (Suppose I could email Chris Schwarz directly and see if he has any recommendations.)

Thanks,

Thomas Williams
04-08-2009, 8:57 PM
They have a good reputation locally. Make sure you check their hours if I recall they are only open in the evening. The quicker way from Charleston to Cincinnati would be to take SR 32, but you will miss Xenia.

Tom Stovell
04-09-2009, 9:36 AM
C.R.M. has odd hours as he's an Industrial Arts teacher in Xenia (I believe) and it's pretty much a one-man operation. There's a nice selection of domestics and it's pretty laid-back as far as sorting to get what you need.

There's also Willis Lumber http://www.willislumber.com/catalog.html in Washington CH. I haven't been there in quite some time but it may be worth a contact.

Tom

Ryan Stagg
04-09-2009, 1:52 PM
Although I haven't bought anything from him yet, I've corresponded with Chad a couple of times, and he seems to be a really nice guy. He's offered to piggyback shipping for free if I wanted to wait for a big order to come through in the Cincinnati area, rather than worry about the 100bf free shipping minimum. 'Seems willing to work with you.

Paxton lumber (http://www.paxtonwood.com/) is about 5 minutes from the Kenwood area where the show will be. It's expensive, more of a boutique outlet, but they have a wide variety of species and sometimes have special stock. Last year they had a full flitch of live-edge waterfall bubinga out front - each piece about 10'x5'x1.5".

Tony Sade
04-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Now to figure out how much a Honda CRV can handle.