PDA

View Full Version : Gramercy tool dovetail saw...

David Gendron
04-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Good evening every body, I was wondering if any of you had a chance to try the dovetail saw from Gramercy tools and what do you think about it. I have two LN, one progresive pitch and the other one regular rip and first the tote is to small for my hand and also don't like the action on the regular one. I kind a like the progresive pitch on the other one but still not super happy with it(so I guess I have a saw or two for sale;)!!).
Thank you for any comants!
David

Brian Kent
04-08-2009, 10:39 PM
One of the great advantages of contributing to Sawmill Creek is that you can post in the classified section. It only costs $6 per year and so well worth it!

Brian

David Gendron
04-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Thank you Brian, where do i find the info to become a contributer?

David Gendron
04-08-2009, 10:51 PM
It's done, I'm now a contributer!!

Brian Kent
04-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Wow! You are fast!

Based on the words of a friend who has a collection of top dovetail saws, you might also want to look at the saw made by Medallion Tools. You can ask about your particular hand size.

I can't use the standard "Large" fits all gloves, and he Lie-Nielsen was cramped for me when I tried it out at a show.

Brian Kent
04-08-2009, 11:48 PM
By the way, I see you are having a heat wave in Whitehorse. Gettin' up over freezing at noon.:D

It's pretty much the same here - above freezing at noon.

Brian

George Beck
04-09-2009, 3:10 AM
Dave

I have the Gramercy Dovetail saw and some LN. They are different animals and I like them both. The Gramercy saw is smaller and thinner and 19 tpi compared to the LN 15 tpi. The gramercy is slower but easier to start and leaves a finer cut. The tote on the Gramercy is much smaller (nice for my hobbit like hands) and the hang is more upright whereas the LN tote is more behind the blade. I prefer the Gramercy on woods like cherry and maple and small work and I use the LN on larger work and coarser woods like Oak and walnut. Both are very fine saws. The LN is easier to sharpen. At Berea I tried every dovetail saw I could get my hands on. Don't overlook Mike Wenzlof's saws. They are outstanding and Andrew Lunn makes incredible dovetail saws.
If you think the LN tote is too small you mike look into Wenzloff saws and talk to Mike. I do know this: once you find the saw that fits you and you "get the hang of it" you will be looking around for things to dovetail. Then you will be among the cursed.

Good Luck

George

Ron Brese
04-09-2009, 7:52 AM
David,

I have the Gramercy saw and quite a few others as a matter a fact, I have to tell you that it is a very different tool as compared. The saw is overall quite a bit smaller which I think helps with fine work on thinner materials however if you're already thinking that the L-N saw totes are too small then the standard saw might not be ideal for you. The good news is that you could buy a saw kit and make your own custom fitted tote to your liking.

At the Saratoga New York NWA show I had the chance to look at a saw from Adam Cherubini. His saw is very similar in regards to the metal components of the saw, I think his blade stock may possibly be just a bit thicker, however it had a much more robust handle as compared to the Gramercy saw.

As Brian mention the saw from Medallion Tool Works is quite a nice tool and Ed will make the tote to suit your hand.

Ron Brese

mike holden
04-09-2009, 8:09 AM
David,
I have both the Gramercy and the LN dovetail saws. Since buying the Gramercy, my LN sits unused.
Note the difference in hang as well as the grip size between them, also the Gramercy is felt in the web between thumb and forefinger, the LN in the palm.

The Gramercy is in the upper right, the LN next to it, followed by a LN carcase, a Tyzack tenon, and a Wenzloff large tenon saw (a copy of the one in the Seaton chest)

I used the gramercy for all 580 dovetails in these Christmas gifts:

So I do have a bit of experience with the Gramercy saw and can recommend it highly. But it does feel different.

Mike

Roger Barlow
04-09-2009, 8:40 AM
Guys, feel free to sell me one of the LN saws:D

Dominic Greco
04-09-2009, 9:07 AM
Good evening every body, I was wondering if any of you had a chance to try the dovetail saw from Gramercy tools and what do you think about it. I have two LN, one progresive pitch and the other one regular rip and first the tote is to small for my hand and also don't like the action on the regular one. I kind a like the progresive pitch on the other one but still not super happy with it(so I guess I have a saw or two for sale;)!!).
Thank you for any comants!
David

David,
I have one that I recently purchased after I had a chance to try it out during the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop's Event on Jan 31st. I spoke with both Joel and Tom Corbett about the saw and was able to get a bunch of pointers on proper technique.

After I received my saw, I tried cutting some dovetails with it. I was very pleased at the way it cut and it just seems to get easier to use over time. The weight and balance is perfect for me and the handle fits my hand VERY well. I would highly reccomend this saw.

Sean Hughto
04-09-2009, 9:23 AM
I made the Gramercy kit. Fun project and great saw. Tends to be my go to most of the time, though I love my LN too.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/2942703239_f58725f808.jpg

Tom Godley
04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
....... also bought the saw at the open house - before I took a dovetail class.

I was able to make very nice cuts with the saw from the fist one. I was also able to try about 10 others over the weekend of the class - liked the Gramercy and also the new saw from LV.

David Gendron
04-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I do have a saw from Ed, and the tote do fit nicely(closed tote(half back saw)). When I talked about the LN tote being to small I reffer to the distance inside the top and bottom horns, it looke like the Gramercy have more???
The Lunn saws are indid nice saws but the budget can't agree!
Also like I mantion, I have both of the LN and I kind a like the one with the progesive pitch, but not 100% convince yet!
Thank you for all of your time!