PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielson vs Lee Valley medium shoulder plane?

dennis thompson
04-09-2009, 5:33 AM
I'd like to buy a medium shoulder plane to clean up tenons, rabbetts etc.. Which do you prefer: Lie -Nielson or Lee Valley?
Thanks
Dennis

John Keeton
04-09-2009, 6:13 AM
Dennis, you may find these threads to be helpful -
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23940
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14482

And, this review by Derek Cohen -
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20Veritas%20Medium%20Shoulder%20Plane.html

I have the LV, and have briefly owned the LN. I prefer the feel of the LV for the limited amount of use that I require. I might note that you will get some responses that prefer some other tool for tenon faces, as opposed to shoulders, but that really wasn't part of your question.

dennis thompson
04-09-2009, 6:39 AM
John
Thanks for the links , they are very helpful. I'm leaning towards the LV. Do you know what the difference between the "A2" vs "01" blades is?
Thanks
Dennis

Wilbur Pan
04-09-2009, 6:46 AM
A2 blades hold an edge for a longer time. O1 blades are easier to sharpen. Some say that O1 blades can be sharpened to a finer edge than A2. Personally, I like O1 blades more than A2, but that's just me.

Mat Ashton
04-09-2009, 8:03 AM
I think that LV make the best shoulder and bullnose planes available today. They add subtle innovations that really improve the performance of the tool such as the grub screws for adjusting the blade... To bad they're ugly :D when compared to LN. Though! the new block plane has some really nice lines. They're my go to company for tools. If they don't have it LN is next in line.

When it comes to the differences between O1 and A2 you have to remember that these tool steels were developed for the metal industries not woodworking. Therefore the differences maybe be significant in metal work they're not that different for woodwork, unless! you're having to deal with highly abrasive woods such as aussie woods (very high in abrasives)not North American woods. Though! heat build up from scraping can make a difference if you're into really high angle and or scraping planes. Then the A2 is the better choice as it can handle much higher heats - approx double that of O1.

YMMV

David Gendron
04-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I tend to agree with the O1 over the A2, I have both type of steel for plane Iron and like the O1 better... I do have the LV and realy like it!

David Keller NC
04-09-2009, 12:45 PM
There is one slight difference between the LV and LN offerings irrespective of aesthetics that bears mentioning. The mouth of the L-N tool is a good bit closer to the front of the plane than on the LV, and that substantially alters the feel of the plane in the cut. Some would rather have the blade edge more centered in the plane's length, as with the LV. Some (including me) want the blade edge more toward the front of the plane so that the rear sole does most of the registration work against the already-cut shoulder.

Rob Luter
04-09-2009, 1:58 PM
I have the LV and really like it. I've tried the LN and found it to be very well made, but ergonomically lacking a bit in comparison to the LV, at least in my hand. Both are fine tools.

Paul Grant
04-09-2009, 2:47 PM
I have the LV and really like it. I've tried the LN and found it to be very well made, but ergonomically lacking a bit in comparison to the LV, at least in my hand. Both are fine tools.

Gotta agree with that....I felt Like I had to be a contortionist to hold the LN plane while my LV plane melts in my hand.

george wilson
04-09-2009, 2:57 PM
I much prefer the LN.The difference in A2 over 01 is very substantial in holding sharpness.

Barry Rowland
04-09-2009, 3:54 PM
I was having this delima also. Bought both planes and tried for 20 days.

Sent the LN back. LV just seemed to fit me better and made work
more comfortable. I use the A2 for all my planes, never had an issue.