PDA

View Full Version : Treasure hunting on the road

Charles Bodner
04-09-2009, 11:48 AM
I will be taking a road trip next week, down to Virginia Tech (Blacksburg VA) to visit my son, returning through Wash DC, to meet up with my other son’s Scout troop, and then back to NJ. Wondered if maybe someone could let me know of any tool dealers to be checked out in these foreign areas since I’ll be missing my usual trips to my usual flea to shop my usual suppliers.

Jim Koepke
04-09-2009, 1:39 PM
Not sure how things are in the eastern areas, out here a lot of antique dealers have publications to give to customers to show where other antique sellers are located. I always ask about tools when going into an antique shop. Many actually have items on consignment or have a lot of different people selling through their shops.

By asking, I have often gotten good leads to follow up.

Antique dealers are often familiar with their "competition." It really is not so much competition as it is association. They know people out antique hunting don't stop at one shop, so they scratch each other's back.

It is also a good idea to know what prices should be or what needs to be checked. I like to take a few things along when "on the road" including screw drivers, a tape measure and a magnifier. It is also helpful to have a small rag or some cotton swabs to clean out the inside of adjuster wheels if you are looking at old planes. I have seen old Stanley (pre-lateral) planes where the only way to identify them was the patent information inside the adjuster.

Also, when you stop for a meal, look for the free local classifieds, advertising sheets and news papers. We have found some great places that we would have driven past if it was not for these. Also, do not lament bad directions or poor map reading. My wife did not do too good at map reading. Her "mistake" took us off the highway quite a ways before the exit I would have taken for the quickest route. We drove by one antiques & "book store." For some reason, it just did not feel good to pass it up. So, I pulled into what looked like another junque shop which turned out to be closed and tuned back down the road to check out the other shop. It was one of the best places I have ever been. That is where I met Terry who happens to be an old wood working tool collector. We went there yesterday and got a good deal on a Stanley #8. I think my wife has kicked herself a few times for not reading maps better. The first time we were there, she says Terry and I spent about three hours looking at his collection of planes. I could have sworn it was only about a half an hour.

jim