PDA

View Full Version : Who made Union Hardware chisels?

Charles Shenk
04-09-2009, 2:01 PM
I have a 2" Union chisel and its shape looks a lot like my Witherbys. Anyone know?

Jim Koepke
04-09-2009, 5:02 PM
There was a union tool works that made tools and planes until about 1917 when they spun the plane making off and it was eventually bought by Stanley in 1920.

You can find a plane catalog here:

http://toolemera.com/Manufacturers%20&%20Merchants/Mfg.%20stu/mfg.-unionmfg.co.html

The site has a lot of interesting old books and catalogs.

Be sure to write if you get lost...

jim

Jim Crammond
04-10-2009, 6:39 AM
Charles,

I can't say definitively who made Union Hardware chisels, but the night before you posted this question, I was looking at a Union Hardware chisel and thought exactly the same thing, that it looked like it was made by Witherby.

Union Hardware from Torrington CN was a different company than Union Manufacturing of New Britain CN. The Union Hardware name is found on chisels, gouges, rules, squares and layout tools. According to the Directory of American Toolmakers, it is not known whether they manufactured tools or just marked and distributed them. Union Mfg. made planes and spokeshaves until they were purchased by Stanley.

Jim

Richard Niemiec
04-10-2009, 7:27 AM
I've always found them to be well made, holds an edge, grab 'em if you find 'em.

Jim Koepke
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I've always found them to be well made, holds an edge, grab 'em if you find 'em.

There are a couple in my collection. One of them gets a lot of use and holds its edge well. It is a 1-1/2 inch. Can't recall the size on the other. It is a duplicate of others of the same size.

jim

Charles Shenk
04-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Seems like a real possibility since both companies were based in Connecticut.