PDA

View Full Version : A new Veritas Plane! WOOHOO!

Kevin Blunt
04-11-2009, 7:38 AM
Hello everyone,
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=62885&cat=51&ap=1
I just wanted to inform you that it seems that a new Vereitas scraping plane has been unvailed this morning. Now I need to decide if I want to buy one or not........Umm yeah, I do. I must speak with SWMBO first though.
I am not too familiar with scraping planes, large or small so I would like to hear your opinions on this tool.
Kevin

John Keeton
04-11-2009, 8:14 AM
Thanks Kevin - - I think!!?? Definitely will have one of these. Although, I never did get comfortable with the full size scraping plane and sold mine.

Bill Geyer
04-11-2009, 8:49 AM
Thanks for the heads-up.
I ordered one first thing this morning.
Looks like a very useful little plane.

David Keller NC
04-11-2009, 9:51 AM
"I am not too familiar with scraping planes, large or small so I would like to hear your opinions on this tool."

My thought here is that if you're not all that familiar with the technique of wood scraping (as opposed to just not that familiar with scraping planes), this is not the place to start, nor are the 3 scraping planes made by Lie-Nielsen.

While not as fun, picking up a set of card scrapers for $10 will be well worth your time to learn to sharpen, set up and use. While the exact technique does not extend to scraper planes, where and when to use them (and on what wood) does.

For example, if you don't work a lot of highly figured curly maple, burls, or other difficult-to-plane woods, or you like sandpaper, a scraper plane will be nearly useless to you (no matter how "cute" the ladybug from Veritas is).

Doug Shepard
04-11-2009, 10:31 AM
With the exception of a Stanley #80 I'd have to agree with David. Scraper planes can be darn frustrating things to get working right if you dont have a bit of experience with a card scraper to go on.

David Gendron
04-11-2009, 2:03 PM
I have to agree with you guys(David and Doug), I had good success with my card scraper but so far not to much luck with my Veritas scraping plane and I found out why last night... wile turning a hook, I was puting to much pressure to the center of the blade compare to the edges(corners) so the center section was lower than the corners... so I have to fix that up!!
David G

mike roe
04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
amazing - i recently made a pistol display plaque for someone and needed to scrape the frame after assembly where glue had dried in a visible area. I was so frustrated scraping that little area with a card scraper - tried using the end, using extreme left or right of the long side.... and i thought it would be so much easier with a smaller version of the LV cabinet scraper which i have; and tried to use. ended up taking a lot of time and small scraping motions to get it done. today i see this - would have been perfect. I love the fact that its a rabbet body too.

im looking forward to a LV LA Jack soon!

Will Blick
04-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Great Post David K...

I think the LV card scraper holder is a must have for scraping...of course, often, its easier to grab the scraper by hand, so you can feel the cut and proceed accordingly, sort of like sharpening on stones.

Also, this tools really fill the a small tiny niche. Its very rare I can not get a hand plane to work... sometimes I have to really sharpen the blade to 30k stone, and often, but only the most unruly woods have been uncooperative...

Doug Shepard
04-12-2009, 6:10 AM
Here's something I don't quite get. Per LV's description:
The 2" wide, 0.040" thick, high-carbon-steel blade occupies the full width of the plane body, permitting clean, accurate cuts flush against a perpendicular surface
So why have the sides curved? It seems to me that in order for the full width blade/opening to be very useful that you'd want the sides straight and square too?

John Keeton
04-12-2009, 6:20 AM
Doug, maybe it is to permit the plane to be used against a slightly concave area?? Don't really know, but maybe Rob Lee will see this thread and chime in at some point.

I went back to my card scrapers after the experience with the scraping plane. I might still be curious enough to try this one, but it sure doesn't have much mass, and that is one thing that seemed to be an issue when I tried the scraping plane.

Rob Lee
04-12-2009, 10:29 AM
(snip)
So why have the sides curved? It seems to me that in order for the full width blade/opening to be very useful that you'd want the sides straight and square too?

Hi Doug,

The sides aren't used for registration of this plane, so there's no need to to keep 'em straight...

There is a slight advantage to the shape, in that you can skew the blade ever so slightly in a 90 degree corner, as the blade is perpendicular to the body opening - making the corner tangent to the plane body at the blade.

Overall - we look at scrapers as surface conditioning planes - so they register only on the surface they're used on - they're not intended to establish geometry...

Of course - the marketing advantage of curved sides is that we'll never get one back for being .001" out of true....;):D:D

Cheers -

Rob

(headed out for a last long day setting up at the Victoria store.... opens tomorrow!)