PDA

View Full Version : Little neander-girl

Justin Cavender
04-11-2009, 7:57 PM
My daughter is 4 years old and is always wanting to help her daddy. She was trying out my block plane the other day and got a shaving with it and was so proud of herself. so I was at harbor freight yesterday and seen a little trim plane and I thought it was just her size. I was going to make it an easter basket present but could not wait and gave it to her today. I showed her how to take it apart and lap and sharpen the blade. then showed her how to put it together and she made some super fine shavings on some pine all by herself and was beaming with pride she is going to sleep with them tonight. I just thought I would share on the future of woodworking.:D

Eric Brown
04-11-2009, 8:16 PM
It's great that you are encouraging such a young girl.
Keep it up and best wishes.

Eric

Bill Houghton
04-11-2009, 8:20 PM
You may find your shop getting taken over for a while - but time spent with kids teaching them how is irreplaceable.

When you make her bench, build it with removable legs, so that you can replace them with longer and longer legs as she grows.

Robert Rozaieski
04-11-2009, 8:46 PM
Isn't it great!? My oldest is almost four and has been spending time in the shop with me since she was almost 2. My youngest is 18 months and likes to play in the shop all the time. It's probably the most rewarding part of not having any machines in my shop. Santa brought them a little plastic Black & Decker workbench for christmas until they get old enough for a real one. I actually have a hard time keeping them out when I'm not in there.

My oldest actually "helped" me build my shave horse not long after she turned three.
http://logancabinetshoppe.weebly.com/uploads/9/4/7/5/947508/7094518_orig.jpg

No edge tools or saws yet, though I have let her help me saw.

Dominic Greco
04-11-2009, 9:04 PM
Isn't it great!? My oldest is almost four and has been spending time in the shop with me since she was almost 2. My youngest is 18 months and likes to play in the shop all the time. It's probably the most rewarding part of not having any machines in my shop. Santa brought them a little plastic Black & Decker workbench for christmas until they get old enough for a real one. I actually have a hard time keeping them out when I'm not in there.

My oldest actually "helped" me build my shave horse not long after she turned three.
http://logancabinetshoppe.weebly.com/uploads/9/4/7/5/947508/7094518_orig.jpg

No edge tools or saws yet, though I have let her help me saw.

Bob,
My little girl is also four years old and loves to come into the shop to "make shavings" with Daddy. I just taught her to use an egg beater drill.

And she also got the B&D work bench and plays with it all the time. Almost more than her Disney "Princesses" Kitchen (which is one stupid idea for a play kitchen! I mean, they're PRINCESSES! They should have over 100 people willing to cook for them!! :D)

Jim Koepke
04-11-2009, 9:28 PM
It is good to see another generation of wood workers beginning the art.

some of my grandchildren have enjoyed time in the shop, unfortunately, they are all about 700 miles away.

jim

Jim Becker
04-12-2009, 9:31 AM
How very kewel!!! You just can't beat a smile like that, too...when they are beaming from their accomplishment!

George Sanders
04-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Sound like you're raising her right. By the time she's grown she'll be able to remodel a house. Good job.
I have some potential little helpers. Three grandsons aged 3, 2, and and a newborn. The oldest one is just about the age to build a birdhouse. I've already got the wood cut. He can drill the hole, pound nails, install the perch and paint it. I can't wait to see the glow of accomplishment in his face.

Ron Petley
04-12-2009, 2:54 PM
Great, my girl is 5yo and she loves to help build things as well as she loves to cook and garden, so nice to have help and conversation. I never though of getting her a plane, great idea.
Cheers Ron.

Charles McKinley
04-12-2009, 9:12 PM
Sorry Ron,

No Pics didn't happen, Gloating rules you know.

GITS are great fun.

Kirk McElhinney
04-12-2009, 9:45 PM
Enjoy your time with them today, next thing you know they will ask for the car keys!!

Kirk

Bill Houghton
04-12-2009, 9:59 PM
...next thing you know they will ask for the car keys!!

And it'll be the last time you get a full night's sleep for years. Waiting for them to come home. Missed curfews. Phone calls at 11 p.m.