PDA

View Full Version : Stanley/Bailey #7 & #8 Viva La Diference

Jim Koepke
04-11-2009, 11:12 PM
This is just a little experiment for people who own both #7 and #8 size planes.

Recently a Stanley #8 came my way to fill out my accumulation of bench planes.

After cleaning off the grime and honing the blade, it was given a test run. It seemed a little more comfortable to use than my recollection of my #7. So, after doing some work on a project just now, the #7 and #8 were tried on the same piece of wood. The #8 did handle a little more comfortably. Trying to figure this out, it was noticed the #8 has its balance or center of gravity closer to the tote than the #7. The #7 seems to have its weight more forward than the #8.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

On a similar note, my accumulation of planes includes a pre-lateral #6 and a type 9 #6. I didn't think of this much at first, but the pre-lateral has the tote a bit forward of the type 9's tote. Maybe that is why the pre-lateral seems more comfortable to use.

This being the case, maybe my whole way of thinking will need a redo and my accumulation can be traded in on pre-laterals.

It's always something ain't it?

jim

philip marcou
04-12-2009, 7:15 AM
That is quite interesting. I recently came across a #6 which had a chunk broken out of the the rear end. I have cut it down to a #51/2 length, and shaped the sides in that area to suit. So it now has an extra long toe and the tote sits a hair further backk than the #51/2. When I have completed the make-over I will be playing with it to see what differences in operation there are if any.
I will sell it on the local internet flea market as a Stanley #59/16ths.

Dominic Greco
04-13-2009, 7:38 AM
This is just a little experiment for people who own both #7 and #8 size planes.

Recently a Stanley #8 came my way to fill out my accumulation of bench planes.

After cleaning off the grime and honing the blade, it was given a test run. It seemed a little more comfortable to use than my recollection of my #7. So, after doing some work on a project just now, the #7 and #8 were tried on the same piece of wood. The #8 did handle a little more comfortably. Trying to figure this out, it was noticed the #8 has its balance or center of gravity closer to the tote than the #7. The #7 seems to have its weight more forward than the #8.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

On a similar note, my accumulation of planes includes a pre-lateral #6 and a type 9 #6. I didn't think of this much at first, but the pre-lateral has the tote a bit forward of the type 9's tote. Maybe that is why the pre-lateral seems more comfortable to use.

This being the case, maybe my whole way of thinking will need a redo and my accumulation can be traded in on pre-laterals.

It's always something ain't it?

jim

Jim,
I gotta' tell you man, we must have a telepathic link or something!:D I was going through the same thing with my Bedrock 608 and my 607.

The 608 seemed EASIER to use and not half as fatiguing as I thought it would be. I also had a very similar experience with a 606 vs a 605. The extra length and the placement of the hand DO seem to play an important role. Unless I miss my guess Lee Valley's planes are built with these principals in mind.

Zahid Naqvi
04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Jim, that makes a lot of sense. If you have to lift the plane by your wrist because it is front heavy it would feel more cumbersome.From my tennis playing days I remember that heavier rackets, with the center of gravity closer to the handle, felt lighter because of balance. As an experiment you can probably attach (with tape) some weight to the rear of a #7 to balance it out, and test how it feels in practice.