PDA

View Full Version : get acquainted and practice plane

Tom Adger
04-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I am at a point where I am getting more into hand tools. I aim to wind up with 3 or 4 hand planes. Before I go and throw money at top of the line planes, I decided to practice plane tune up by buying a cheap ($12) #4 bench plane from Harbor Freight. This was an inexpensive way to learn. The frog would not fit straight, requiring some filing, the throat was uneven, sole wasn't flat, etc. I consider it time well spent. It is even to the point that it does a pretty good job planing. Of course, it was helped along by a Hock blade I bought and got mirror flat on back and bevel.

I have a new Stanley-Bailey #5 jack on the way. This is my next step up.

By the way, I Googled "hand plane tune up" and found a number of good articles on the subject.

jerry nazard
04-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Tom,

I recently tuned up a new Stanley #4 on a bet with a friend. It took countless hours to file, flatten, hone new Hock blade, and make new tote and knob. I won the bet but the time could have better been spent doing some woodworking. You might be much better off by purchasing a new Wood River plane from Woodcraft and saving some time and $$. Just my .02. The new Stanley plane fresh out of the box is pretty darn worthless.

-Jerry

Jim Koepke
04-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Congratulations on the self taught fettling fait accompli.

My purchases of bench planes has been almost all old used Stanley/Bailey style planes. For me, the fettling is half the joy of ownership. Knowing that one rehabbed a rusty old found in the wild hunk of iron into a well tuned working tool is a joy each time it is used to master a piece of wood.

It is almost as if one has freed the soul of the beast and every time the whispers of wood emanate off the blade and through its mouth it is like the little sssssissst sound is its way of saying thank you.

jim

Tom Adger
04-12-2009, 8:01 PM
Jerry and Jim, thanks for your replys. The Stanley is on the way, so I guess I will see how it works out. I did go to the Woodcraft website, and looked at the Wood River planes. They look good. My next purchase will be a block plane, and theirs will definitely be on my list.

As far as buying an old plane and overhauling it, I have been to the local flea market a number of times, and had no luck. I am a little hesitant about getting one off ebay, with only a picture or two to go on. We are also in sort of a dead zone for craigslist.