PDA

View Full Version : Lion Miter Trimmer

Marc Casebolt
04-12-2009, 3:14 PM
I've had a Lion trimmer for about 15 years, and when it's sharp and adjusted it is great. Recently though it has begun to skip the teeth even when aplying fairly light pressure to the handle. The blade is newly sharpened so it does not take much force to cut, but when it skips teeth it is a pain in the butt to re align.

Has anyone here had one of these long enough to wear it out? Can they be fixed if the gears on either side of the handle gear get rounded off a bit? I e-mailed the company just now to ask for info on parts, so I'll see what they say.

Thanks,

Marc

Mark Bolton
04-12-2009, 5:06 PM
Are the teeth worn on the pinion or on both the rack and the pinion? I dont own one and have only used one a few times but I dont seem to recall any way to adjust the mesh between the two racks and the pinion.

I wonder if there are any removable shims in the two bolts that hold to top rail. If there are you would be able to swap them for smaller ones to lower the upper rail which would tighten the tolerance at the rack/pinion.

Just a guess,
Mark

Marc Casebolt
04-12-2009, 6:51 PM
The teeth are a bit worn, but to look at them you wouldn't think it is enough to make a difference. There is no way that I can see to bring the two racks closer together. I'm hoping that I can replace the center gear and that much extra meat will fix it. An over sized gear is what I think I need, but I'll bet there is no such thing. Stay tuned.

Marc

Eric Brown
04-13-2009, 6:55 AM
Many times gears are on eccentric bolts for adjusting. I don't know about the Lion, but you might try taking it apart and looking at it.

Good luck.

Eric