PDA

View Full Version : Turned stoppers

Kieran Kammerer
04-12-2009, 4:46 PM
Here are some recent stoppers I turned. Comments/suggestions appreciated. Sorry about the picture. Next time I will iron the sheet. Thanks for looking.

Kieran

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 5:06 PM
Wow, nice batch and some interesting shapes. I like the fact that you did not duplicate any of the shapes.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2009, 5:20 PM
Great looking batch of stoppers with some interesting shapes. Well done.

Kieran Kammerer
04-12-2009, 5:35 PM
Thanks for the comments. The nice thing about stoppers is that even if the original design you had in mind doesen't work out, you can always say the final shape was what you had intended!

Jeff Nicol
04-12-2009, 5:56 PM
Kieran, Looks like you have been busy and they all look good to me! I for one have not turned a bottle stopper yet but I will some day! I keep putting little pretty blocks of wood in an old 10 drawer tool box for just that time, so I will be ready! Great job and keep at it you will be doing big hollow forms soon enough!

Jeff

Kieran Kammerer
04-12-2009, 6:08 PM
Thanks Jeff. I was just revisitng your website last PM. I have been turning off and on for a number of years an old Delta lathe. I finally have saved up enough money (assuming the sale of my Delta goes through this week) to purchase a 3520B. Hope to place the order with Toolnut this weekend. I was admiring your steady rest. Once I begin to build the cash stores up again, I think a portable welder will be next on my list.

All the best,

Kieran

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2009, 6:45 PM
Kieran - great looking bunch of stoppers! Like Jeff, I have not turned a stopper yet! Just one of those thing s I have not gotten around to yet! Nice work - very nice variety of shapes!

Make sure - once you order your lathe - to post a gloat on it! Looking forward to seeing photos of your new lathe real soon!

Pete Jordan
04-12-2009, 6:59 PM
You did a great job on all of them! I need to make some more of those.

Kieran Kammerer
04-12-2009, 6:59 PM
Thanks Steve. I have been admiring your work on the site. I was a Yupper back from 1989-1993 stationed at KI Sawyer. Still use my Yupper-scopper every winter in Maine. A coworker of mine is currently in the UP and is sending the office a gift package of pasties this Tuesday. My wife still remebers enjoying her first pastie with a coke up in Marquette. We both look back at out time in the UP with fond memories.

Take care,

Kieran

Brian McInturff
04-12-2009, 8:12 PM
My 2 favorites are the far left one, and the 2nd from the right. Absolutely stunning!

Billy Tallant
04-13-2009, 1:19 AM
A great looking display of stoppers. Very interesting shapes.

alex carey
04-13-2009, 1:26 AM
6th from the right is my favorite, it has cool grain, nice job on all of them though.