PDA

View Full Version : Shapton vs Spyderco

Roger Barlow
04-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Follow up thread on sharpening. When I was smoother choosing BU vs. BD, I started some talk about the Spyderco stones I use. I said that I was getting tired of spending so much time sharpening us these hard stones, and I was getting some Shaptons and would post a comparison of the stones.

As with my non scientific plane comparison which was run in a perfect haphazardly manner, and finely tuned for what I was doing at the time, this comparison is more of the same.

So I called the official distributor for Shapton stones and talked with a guy, who I think is the person behind these stones. Good guy, really into sharpening, and sharpening methods. We talked for a while, had a good conversation about sharpening and stones, and I bought his recommendation, a 500, 2000, and 8000 glass stone set with a holder. Which was different than what I had thought I would need, which was 220,1000,4000,8000.

I sharpened up my bench chisels today. Well, I gotta say that I’m very pleased with the stones, they cut probably 2-3 times faster than my old stones. And that’s what I wanted, 2 minutes a chisel, not 5 or so. The finish of the 2000 stone is not polished (not that I thought it would be). It’s a very refined scratch pattern, and sharp enough to be called ready for work. For a comparison, The Spyderco medium stone leaves a finish much more polished than the 2000 Shapton, somewhere between the 2000 and 8000 Shapton, and the Spyderco fine stone is more like the Shapton 8000. But a Shapton stone cuts what is needed in 10-20 swipes with very light pressure, the Spydercos take very heavy finger pressure and more than double the swipes.

I ran the chisels up the range of the Shaptons (8k), and tested the edge on Mahogany endgrain. They could all cut translucent shavings with effort I would expect from a well sharpened tool, and left a polished wood finish.

The chisel edges did have a semi mirror polish with an underlying superfine scratch pattern. I then finished them on the ultra fine Spyderco and rechecked the edge and cut. Definitely more polished, and maybe, and I say maybe a little sharper in that the effort to shave endgrain was less, maybe. Was it worth the extra minute or so to get the mirror polish, I don’t know, sharp is sharp. But what would be interesting to check is edge longevity. But I doubt that I’ll spend the effort to figure that one out, I’ll about all out of scientific.

Last note, I’ll probably not be buying anymore superfine grit sandpaper since the 500 Shapton can rough an edge so fast it’s ridiculous. Now I know why there is a warning on the 220 stone. And I think I see a 16K Shapton in my future, well into the future anyway. Definitely see something in my near future for flattening these Shaptons. Buy one thing, then you gotta buy another. Enjoy.

Mike Henderson
04-14-2009, 12:18 AM
I have both the Shaptons and the Spyderco and I definitely prefer the Shaptons. Just a comment - you need something to flatten the stones so I bought a DMT coarse/extra coarse plate. You can also use the DMT to shape an edge, eliminating the need for the coarse Shapton. For a long time I didn't have an 8000 Shapton and found that the edge produced by the 5000 was quite good. I definitely think you don't need a 16K stone.

I now have the 1000, 5000 and 8000 and they are all I need - and I did without the 8000 for a long time. The diamond plate is an absolute necessity, however.

Mike

[I have the professional stones, not the glass stones.]

Carl Maeda-San Diego
04-14-2009, 12:18 AM
I also have the Spyderco stones and pretty much anything cuts faster than they do. But they do a really good job getting an edge on your tools. I have them relegated to my pocket and kitchen knives now since they are easy to maintain... just use water to clean them up.

Scott Pearson
04-14-2009, 3:31 PM
That's funny that you mention the warning about the 220 shapton. I have the shaptons 220,1000,4000,8000. I am happy with all of them except the 220, that stone is sooo slow and hardly cuts a thing it even leaves finer scratches then the 1000.

Other then the 220 stone, I am happy with them, they are fast and efficient and give me the best edge from any other system I have tried.

Sorry, I have never tried the spyderco stones.

Scott

Roger Barlow
04-14-2009, 6:33 PM
That's funny that you mention the warning about the 220 shapton. I have the shaptons 220,1000,4000,8000. I am happy with all of them except the 220, that stone is sooo slow and hardly cuts a thing it even leaves finer scratches then the 1000.

Other then the 220 stone, I am happy with them, they are fast and efficient and give me the best edge from any other system I have tried.

Sorry, I have never tried the spyderco stones.

Scott

Is the 220 stone glazed, seriously, the 500 cuts like brand new 220 grit carbide paper, maybe faster.

Robert LaPlaca
04-14-2009, 7:37 PM
I have own Shapton professional stones 1000,5000,8000 and the steel lapping plate, I really like the stones a lot, I have owned them for seven years. The Shaptons cut reasonably fast and don't dish out as fast as a traditional water stones. All in all I am pretty happy with my purchase

george wilson
04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
The Spyderco stones have to be used in the right set of stones to be quick. I use a 220 grit diamond stone,then the black ceramic,then the white. minimal honing is required to eradicate the scratches of the previous stone,which is all you are really doing. the stones will not get worn,and will last forever unless broken.And,they will hone any steel,or carbide. I finish off with a strop.

This afternoon,I sharpened my pocket knife blede straight razor sharp in about 4-5 minutes.

Steve knight
04-15-2009, 2:27 AM
I have worn spyderco stones.
remember a shine does not mean a sharper edge. just different sharpening tools produce more or less shine. even the shapton 12k stone does not really leave a shine.

Tim Put
04-15-2009, 2:53 PM
Out of curiosity, did you wear out a brown (medium) Spyderco or one of the white (fine or ultra-fine) ones? Sypderco admits that the brown one will wear, though much slower than a waterstone, but claims that the white ones won't.

Of course nothing absolutely doesn't wear, so an equally important question is: how severe was the wear? And how much use did it take to generate that wear?

Richard Dooling
04-15-2009, 3:02 PM
I have not worn one out but it has/is taking much more effort to flatten the white than the brown. This on a coarse diamond stone.

Overall happy with the Spyderco but I do wish they cut faster and I do not have experience with other high end stones.

george wilson
04-15-2009, 9:09 PM
Maybe using the ceramics is keeping you in better condition,Richard.

Roger Barlow
04-15-2009, 10:44 PM
I have not worn one out but it has/is taking much more effort to flatten the white than the brown. This on a coarse diamond stone.

Overall happy with the Spyderco but I do wish they cut faster and I do not have experience with other high end stones.

that's why I posted my experience, I have really no other stones than the spyderco since dumping my Arkansans. My fine and ulta fine spydercos are still real flat, the medium is slightly dished, and I have let it become that way, I look at it like free camber. The ultra fine dulls my diamond stone.

Steve knight
04-16-2009, 1:26 AM
Out of curiosity, did you wear out a brown (medium) Spyderco or one of the white (fine or ultra-fine) ones? Sypderco admits that the brown one will wear, though much slower than a waterstone, but claims that the white ones won't.

Of course nothing absolutely doesn't wear, so an equally important question is: how severe was the wear? And how much use did it take to generate that wear?
don't remember I think the brown it was 10 years ago. since I went to shaptons I have not looked back. at the time I was wearing out a Norton 1000 watersone in 1.5 months.

Richard Dooling
04-16-2009, 3:20 PM
Oh it definitely has given me a work out George – I’m hoping for chiseled abs. :rolleyes: In fact I’m trying to get Spyderco to open a line of fitness centers.

Seriously, the white stone has been a bit of a challenge but I'll finish off the bit that's left this weekend. I decided to keep with one system for a while rather than jump around too much without ever figuring out how to make it work for me. I may try other stones later ($$$) but right now I hear some cherry calling me ($$$).

I have spent the colder months taking care of some shop issues and working on some techniques. I think it's time to remember that I am trying to get really good edges in order to work wood and this Saturday looks to be a great day to be out in the shop.

Sunny + mid 70s = shopday. YEAH!!

I am very lucky to have a view of a small branch of the Lafayette River from my little shop and that's where I go to recharge.

BTW: I never picked up the Aquacut but the water and detergent work fine. Main trick seems to be the right balance - enough to keep the stone cutting but not so much that the edge just slides around.