PDA

View Full Version : First Plane...#4 or #5

Joe Feistritzer
04-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Hello Neanderthals. I'm buying my first plane this week. Attempting to move my skill set up from basic home handy man to furniture maker. I've spent a few weeks reading your posts and several books. Torn between a #4 or a #5 as my first plane. Uses: don't have a power joiner or planer and want to work by hand. Plan to start slow enough and work on practicing squaring/smoothing my stock, learn some joinery and eventually building a small wall cabinet for tool storage before moving on to something more challenging. Any input is appreciated. Thanks,

Sean Hughto
04-14-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't know the derivation of "Jack" as the short hand for the 5, but the name fits. If you're going to try to do a lot of things withone plane, get the one that is a "jack of all trades." It joints respectabably, does rough work on a face well, and smooths well too. Unless the scale of the work is small, a 4 is not quite as versatile.

Mark Roderick
04-14-2009, 12:46 PM
There's no doubt that the #5 should be your first plane in the circumstances you describe. Make sure you buy a couple of extra blades, included a toothed blade for removing stock quickly.

BUT. . . .you're asking a lot of a single plane. I would strongly suggest a #5 and a #7 if you're going the non-electrical route, maybe even a scrub plane. You don't want to get frustrated and give the whole thing up.

Finally, and at the risk of boos from the chorus, I'd really suggest a portable power planer. I've jointed all my wood by hand for a long time, but with one side flat the power planer does the rest so quickly and effortlessly. Depends on your own priorities, of course. If you can't stand noise and/or your goal is to do the craft the way it was done in the 18th century, ignore this suggestion.

Sean Hughto
04-14-2009, 12:50 PM
And FWIW, here is a small tool cabinet I made from some scraps (using handtools for the everything but the ripping and crosscutting for the most part) a couple months back. I offer it just to share, really, not because it's anything special. I did it mostly to get a practice run on this make of hinges and installing the bullet catch - before doing it on a more serious ongoing project. I would mention that the joinery is not all completely simple and unchallenging - the shelves are sliding dovetails and making a frame and panel door by hand is not simple (at least the first time you do it).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/3256578957_17e609cbbb_o.jpg

Joe Feistritzer
04-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the input. The #5 is looking like a good one to go after. The cabinet looks nice. I did some reading on the sliding dovetails, so I have some small apreciation for the effort, though I obviously haven't cut any on my own.

Jim Koepke
04-14-2009, 12:55 PM
I have to go along with the consensus on this, the #5 is a more versatile plane.

Of course, you will likely want to invest in a good small to medium try square for checking your work.

A block plane is handy for squaring up the end grain.

Then there are so many other things that you will be reaching out to get. It is like grabbing for the brass rings as you slide down the slope.

Good luck, have fun and welcome to the Creek, hop on in the water is fine,

jim

Bill Houghton
04-14-2009, 3:14 PM
I started this woodworking thing long before the internet (to paraphrase my favorite line from some Garfield special on TV, back when all we had were woodburning cats), and all the books I took out of the library recommended the No. 5 jack plane as the first plane, followed by a block plane*.

*Back then, the standard (20 deg.) angle plane was the recommended first block plane, but now, with an understanding of changing effective planing bevel angle by changing ground bevel on bevel-up planes, I would recommended a low-angle (12 deg.) plane...but I've exceeded your question here, so I'll stop.

Brian Kent
04-14-2009, 3:19 PM
Joe, have you read some common comments about plane quality. There are many excellent modern plane makers and many excellent old Stanleys, but new Stanleys and a few other brands carry a lot of frustration with them.

Joe Feistritzer
04-14-2009, 3:55 PM
Thanks again for all the feedback. #5 it is. As for as a try square, etc I do have a small laundry list of items I'm picking up...and I'm sure the other size planes will quickly follow. I'm very interested in the older tools and look forward to refurbishing items I find. Thought I'd start with a new one to establish a baseline.

Many of the names in this thread are familiar based on your input in the other threads I've read the past copuple of months. I've notcied it's a very helpful, experienced crowd.

Jim Koepke
04-14-2009, 6:55 PM
Thanks again for all the feedback. #5 it is. As for as a try square, etc I do have a small laundry list of items I'm picking up...and I'm sure the other size planes will quickly follow. I'm very interested in the older tools and look forward to refurbishing items I find. Thought I'd start with a new one to establish a baseline.

Many of the names in this thread are familiar based on your input in the other threads I've read the past copuple of months. I've notcied it's a very helpful, experienced crowd.

Joe,

Have you looked through the links in the Neanderthal Wisdom/FAQs?
There is a lot of good information in that thread. As time goes on, there should be new additions.

jim

David Gendron
04-14-2009, 9:55 PM
Personely, I would go like this,a #5 and #8. I find these can do prety much every thing!
Two blades for each and you are set for a lot of work!!
David