PDA

View Full Version : A work in progress

Julian Nicks
04-14-2009, 7:51 PM
I just picked up an old 1917-1918(I think) Disston backsaw for a song and a dance and figured I'd try my hand at fixing it up. The files and sawset are on order, so in the meantime I decided to file off the old teeth, since they were really beat, and some were missing. The plan is to set the saw up with 16ppi. I ordered a new set of sawnuts and made a new handle out of curly bubinga. Any comments criticism is welcomed.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/pdmfpres/2-2.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/pdmfpres/5-1.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/pdmfpres/4-2.jpg

Glen Evans
04-14-2009, 8:03 PM
Nice looking handle, how does the bubinga machine?? Are you planning on adding the chamfers at the back slot??

Glen

Julian Nicks
04-14-2009, 8:45 PM
Bubinga machines prety much like mahogany. I will chamfer the ends once I get the slot cut in the handle. I guess I should have waited to finish the handle till I had the blade finished, but I just couldn't wait to see what the handle was going to look like. I recently redid a stanley #7 plane knob and tote with curly bubinga and curly maple and it turned out looking great.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/pdmfpres/plane-002.jpg

Jim Kountz
04-14-2009, 9:10 PM
Thats got to be the nicest plane knob and tote Ive ever seen. Good job on all!!

John Keeton
04-14-2009, 9:42 PM
Great replication on the saw handle! That is beautiful bubinga! I never work with exotics - and honestly couldn't tell one from the other. But, the more I see projects like this, the more tempted I am to try some.

Curly maple combined with walnut is my all time favorite, but the bubinga contrasts very well - nice mix!

george wilson
04-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Julian,very nice job on replicating the saw handle. Really copying something NICE is an excellent way to develop a good eye. I wish I could see more of such accurate copying going on. It is not an end in itself,but a means to developing a good sense of design.When that good sense of design is absorbed into the brain,then,good original work can be forthcoming. I have mentioned that when I was a kid I did a lot of tracing of sailing ships,and other well designed objects. I had hardly any tools to work with,but I think I helped myself develop a good eye without realizing it at the time. I was always in cultural vacuums in most of my younger years.Actually,until I was in college.

You have a good eye. A few flattish spots on the lower part of the handle at the horn could be made a bit more curved. Easily corrected. I refer to the lowest picture. The rest is excellent.

Dominic Greco
04-15-2009, 9:23 AM
Julian,
Well done of the handle! Not only does it look accurate shape wise, it's wonderful looking wood! I can't wait to see the completed saw.

Julian Nicks
04-15-2009, 9:27 AM
George, you are correct. It is hard to tell what the edge of the curve looks like until it shines. Once I cut the teeth and fit the blade to the handle, I plan on chamfering the edge, and fixing the small irregularities in the handle.

David Keller NC
04-15-2009, 9:41 AM
So curious - why make a new handle? The original looks like it's in fine shape (and that's not all that common with older Disstons - they usually have a chunk taken out of one of the horns).

If it was "just because" (I do a lot of that - no criticism here), save the original handle and saw nuts. You can definitely sell it at a local MWTCA meet to someone that has a good sawplate and back and a busted handle.

george wilson
04-15-2009, 4:12 PM
True,Julian,surfaces often don't show up till they are polished. It is that willingness to cut back into a surface and fix it that improves craftsmanship.

Julian Nicks
04-15-2009, 6:58 PM
David, the reason for the handle is.... well I was bored and wanted to do something while I wait for the files and sawset to arrive at my doorstep. I plan on saving the original parts because I plan on eventually building a few more saws from scratch so I will return this one to original.