PDA

View Full Version : 602 bedrock repair

David Nash
04-15-2009, 6:37 PM
Hello All,
I found an old stanley bedrock 602 with rounded sides at a yard sale. The only thing is it must of been dropped in the past and broke through the mouth and the repair on it is very poor. Is there anyone out there that can do such a repair? I really dont care about its value. I really would like the chance to put it back to work.

Dominic Greco
04-15-2009, 6:45 PM
David,
I would be the first person to try to refurbish an old Bedrock. But the damage you're talking about it almost impossible to pull off unless you are better than the average welder and well versed in repairing cast iron. Even then it would be a very tricky repair.

I can't believe I'm about to say this because it goes against my nature. I would part that plane out and sell it in pieces on Ebay. You will make a MINT. Pieces and parts of Bedrocks fetch a premium. And a 602 is not exactly a run of the mill Bedrock.

Heck, I bet if you put it up whole on Ebay you'd make enough to buy a LN#2 (which looks like a Bedrock 602, but is a bit better of a plane)

Mike Brady
04-16-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree with Dominic. Better to make someone else's plane complete than to try to save this one. Repaired planes are of little value left together. Ditto on the L-N recommendation.